Topic: Starting Crank and Extension

39Fordfan    -- 06-25-2019 @ 11:00 AM
  When I got my '39 Deluxe back from restoration I did not get a Starting Crank or Extension. My restoration guy said even if I found a crank it would not turn the engine because something is stripped off inside.

I currently have the radiator out for a re-core and got to thinking it might be a good idea to have a Crank since I'm going to the trouble of keeping the original hole for one in the radiator. I looked into the nibs on the lower pulley nut behind the fan the crank fits into, and the nibs look stripped or broken. My problem is that I can't seem to locate this nibbed nut for the lower belt pulley the crank grabs onto to make use of a Crank. Hopefully my description gives you the idea and I enclosed pictures of it too. I've got a part number and diagram somewhere if that would help? It seemed like a good time to try and get this going since I've got the front end opened up.

Any ideas of where to get A) this nibbed Crank nut? B) A Crank with extension that fits it? Also, anything I should know before trying to get this nut off if I can find a suitable replacement?

I've got a buddy who is a machinist, I thought if all else fails I could have him make me this combo. What do you think? Or am I just whistling Dixie? Thanks!

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 6-25-19 @ 11:15 AM

nelsb01    -- 06-25-2019 @ 11:12 AM
  You frequently see the crank nut for 60 hp engines on eBay etc, so one would think that finding one for an 85 hp would show up.
I would suggest you contact Fred at Southside Obsolete in Faribault MN.

http://www.southsideobsolete.com/Southside_Obsolete/Welcome.html

supereal    -- 06-25-2019 @ 11:29 AM
  The part is called the "pulley ratchet nut".For 38 thru 53, the part number is 81A-6319, $6.00 at C&G (800) 266-0470. It has a threaded shank that screws into the end of the crankshaft. The crank was usually packaged with the jack. I don't believe the crank itself is being reproduced.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-26-2019 @ 8:24 AM
  HI 39Fordfan
C&G has new crankshaft pulley nuts for sale in there catalog, looks like $9.95
maybe time to order a FREE CATALOG 800 266 0470
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

39Fordfan    -- 06-26-2019 @ 4:35 PM
  Thank-you so much for the responses! I called C&G and the guy in Minnesota and since I live in Minnesota I can get it a lot quicker from him, so I went with Fred at Southside Obsolete in Faribault, MN.

I was told when I took the car out of restoration that the Crankshaft Pulley Ratchet Nut wasn't available anymore. I checked with Little Dearborn and they said they didn't carry them and they were hard to find. I usually check all the Ford Vendors when I need something but assumed it wasn't available. I'm glad I checked with you guys, I really appreciate the help!

supereal    -- 06-27-2019 @ 2:06 PM
  Here, in Iowa, we mostly order from C&G and have the correct, good quality parts in a couple of days all the way from California.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13005