Topic: Leaking Transmission

rayfry    -- 06-21-2019 @ 8:09 AM
  Good morning all, I have a 1949 Ford Custom with a flathead V-8 and three on the tree with over-drive. My problem is the transmission is leaking at the front. Its not just one drop, but more like several drops over night. My question is do any of the transmission additives that are on the market today actually do what they say. They claim to seal the trans and stop any leaks. If anybody could recommend a good one that works, or do I have to pull the transmission. is there any way to stop the leak without pulling the trans. thanks

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-21-2019 @ 8:21 AM
  hi
what weight oil is in the transmission,?
modern lubes might be too thin to use,
there is a front seal, but make sure you replace the pilot bearing , or make sure it has no play
between the input shaft and the bearing,
if it has the lease amount of play it could cause a leak,
C and G has the seals,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman
ALSO make sure your engine oll filler cap is not clogged, this will cause engine oil leaks, just in case

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-21-19 @ 1:46 PM

rayfry    -- 06-21-2019 @ 8:29 AM
  Not sure what weight oil is in the trans. Only owned car for around 6 months and never added any fluids. Someone recommended using a thicker oil and this may stop the leak. Is 140 gear oil a good idea?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-21-2019 @ 10:16 AM
  hi
make sure it is trans oil and not motor oil ,
drain out old trans oil , and just for fun, run a magnet though the oil, any fragments,?
this will also tell you if there is any problems coming down the road !
I think the 140 weight oil would help, 140 old stock oil would be the best to use, not multi weight like 90-140
what is there to lose,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

len47merc    -- 06-21-2019 @ 11:57 AM
  Take a pic of the source of your leak and post it. Is it leaking from the classic cotter pin hole? Assumptions here will point toward it being engine oil vs transmission oil. (per 37RAGTOPMAN have you confirmed transmission oil versus engine oil? If so how?)

Using 140 vs. 90 is fine but is a band aid at best if the source of the leak is the transmission.

Steve

pauls39coupe    -- 06-21-2019 @ 5:57 PM
  Make sure the engine and transmission are not over filled. No seal will help if there is too much oil flooding the seals.
If you are sure it is transmission fluid, bite the bullet, pull the transmission, and replace the seal. It is about a 5 minute job ONCE YOU GET the transmission out.

TomO    -- 06-22-2019 @ 7:40 AM
  I don't think that there is a front seal on the transmission. There is a slinger behind the front bearing and a gasket for the front bearing retainer. The transmission seal conditioners will not be any help with oil leaking from the front of the transmission, because there is no rubber seal there. If you are leaking gear oil from the front, the front bearing may be bad or the transmission has been over filled. The gear oil level should be approximately 1/4"-1/2" below the fill plug when cold.

Oil drips near the front of the transmission are usually engine oil. To stop those you need to replace the rear main seal in the engine and make sure that the oil pump gear housing gasket is sealing the gear chamber.

Tom

pauls39coupe    -- 06-22-2019 @ 7:22 PM
  Oops! Tom is correct! There is not a rubber seal as such on 49-50 transmissions like there was on the earlier transmissions.
Check your fluid levels as he suggested.

supereal    -- 06-25-2019 @ 11:49 AM
  All old Ford transmissions seem to leak. There are input and output seals available at C&G. Complete gaskets sets B-7153 are $11.95. There is a slinger washer on the bearing of the input shaft 68-7040) and one on the output shaft (7080) to contain oil through the large bearings. They are called "baffles", and the flat side faces bearing. Using a heavy oil such as 140, will help some, but is hard to find in some places.

LarryK    -- 06-26-2019 @ 4:32 AM
  Sta-Lube markets a straight, non-synthetic SAE 140, API/GL4 gear oil, Part Number SL24238). It can be ordered from Amazon.

Larry

supereal    -- 06-27-2019 @ 2:03 PM
  A note of caution: If you drive in very cold weather with 140 weight in the transmission, shifting can be difficult. We do recommend it for very old transmissions because it slows the cluster enough to aid smooth shifting.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12997