Topic: Rumble Seat Water Management

jveetee    -- 06-16-2019 @ 9:37 AM
  I am currently in the process of restoring my 1936 Ford Roadster and have two questions for the forum on water management.

1) Rumble Seat Weatherstripping: I have a weatherstripping kit from Bob Drake that provides a two part seal for the lid on the left, right and upper portion. One rubber extrusion mounts to the body and another mounts to the lid. They meet to form a seal when the lid is closed. My issue is, the bottom gap between the lid and the tail pan remains open so water can flow directly into the trunk area of the car (see arrow on photo attached). How do I seal or manage the water to keep it from collecting on the floor of my vehicle?

2) Trunk Drain Hoses: I have purchased the trunk drain hoses from Drake, but I don't see an obvious place for them to attach or a place for the hose to passthrough the floorboard and outside the car. The floors have been replaced with original-style stampings.

Hoping someone may have an installation diagram/schematic/photos that clearly show the weatherstripping and better water management for trunk/rumble seat area. Thanks.

G Tosel    -- 06-16-2019 @ 1:05 PM
  The drain hoses are for cars with a trunk lid only. The rumble seat area has a sheet metal piece across the rear in front of the rumble seat hinges that channels water to the holes in the rear area where the hoses would go through the floor for a car with a trunk.

jveetee    -- 06-16-2019 @ 1:43 PM
  Thank you, that’s the piece/feature my car is missing -- probably discarded during the first restoration back in the 1960s. Appreciate the photo too. Strangely I could not find this addressed anywhere on the internet -- like I’m the only one who ever questioned it. Thanks again.

MICHV8    -- 06-18-2019 @ 5:15 AM
  nope...I had the same question asked by a friend about a week ago on my 39 convertible coupe

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-18-2019 @ 9:59 AM
  hi
there is a sheet metal dam, running across the back, this allows the water to run out the back, and keeps it from
running inside the car,
this is what my 37 Cabriolet has, just a simple piece of sheet metal
you are most likely missing this. but is simple to make,
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman

fordv8j    -- 06-18-2019 @ 5:55 PM
  our 38 conv. coupe same way, there was enough of the dam left for a pattern, it had a rubber gasket under it, and was scr*w*d to the floor pan, I made a new one, make sure your back pan has drain holes in it,I drilled holes in the lowest places, then poured red rustoleum primer in the pan and let it drain out the holes..........

flatheadfan    -- 06-23-2019 @ 10:57 PM
  This is what I have on my '35. It is a solid pan on all sides.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12989