Topic: 50 coupe paint

parrish    -- 05-25-2010 @ 7:40 PM
  Is it possible that certain body areas (i.e.under the front parking bezels, under the hood ornament) would not have completely received factory body paint? The reason I ask is that I am sanding down a Hawaiian Bronze coupe and when I removed the above parts, I found blue paint...possibly primer blue. Anyway, the car was definitely Hawaiian bronze from the factory and I have found no other blue re-paint indicators. The car's history is fairly well know with 1 Hawaiian Bronze repaint in 1985 and those telltale repaint lines are easy to spot. Photo attached

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-26-2010 @ 5:06 AM
  maybe the hood was replaced for some reason before the car was repainted in 1985, this is most likley, it is possibly, if the hood is the only place you found the blue paint,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN,,,, KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!!

trjford8    -- 05-26-2010 @ 7:16 AM
  Ragtopman's theory of a possible new hood or repair may be a good guess. 51 hoods had a tendency to rust out along the front of the hood. I have seen several of these hoods with this problem as they trap dirt and moisture in the front panel.

parrish    -- 05-26-2010 @ 8:43 PM
  I spent a little more time sanding today and have found some pretty thin paint where the primer is showing through and the primer is the same blue as previously mentioned!!!I have no idea, but if you look at the previously attached photo of the hood you can see the factory Hawaiian Bronze under the removed center strip and then the blue primer over bare metal under the removed hood ornament. The hood looks as original as the rest of the car and has Hawaiian Bronze underneath as well. Food for thought and very mysterious...thanks for the suggestions!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-28-2010 @ 4:33 AM
  I had a 51 back in 1963 or so and it already has rust out in the front hood in the front on the outer edges.
so if you are repainting it, make sure you check those area., for sure, you do not want blisters showing thought in a few years, I would try to find something special for these area,from the inside,a coating of something,
ALSO MAKE SURE your STEERING BOX BOLTS are tight,and not stripped,or worn,
mine broke away from the frame one night,
was not fun,and I hit a pole.
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

jerry.grayson    -- 05-30-2010 @ 5:41 PM
  Parris
I worked on the assembly line body shop in 1953 and I have never seen "blue" primer. I have been around and worked at body repair shops and restored or worked on lots of V8's and have never seen "blue" primer. Replacement hood.

jerry.grayson    -- 05-30-2010 @ 5:43 PM
  The body is painted at the factory BEFORE any trim parts are installed (hood ornament, grill, stainless, etc).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1298