Topic: 36 transmission

Danny/Texas    -- 05-24-2010 @ 8:51 AM
  Just installed my transmission to the engine, but before installing both in the frame, I have a question. When in neutral, the transmission turns, but has a rough spot where it gets a little tight. It does turn but just tighter than the rest of the rotation. Do I have a problem, or will this work out. Its a 36 transmission case with synchonizers installed.

supereal    -- 05-24-2010 @ 10:28 AM
  A rough spot usually indicates a bad bearing. Since it happens when in neutral, I'd suspect the input shaft main bearing, but be sure that the slinger next to the bearing isn't backwards, causing rubbing. Another potential spot would be the internal roller bearings in the cluster gear, if badly worn. The cluster turns with the input shaft in neutral.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-24-2010 @ 5:18 PM
  A friend of mine rebuilt a 1938 pickup trans, and the input shaft and cluster gear made noise, I do not know if it was tight in a spot, and the input shaft was NOS FORD,.this was 30 years ago,
I had a mint used input shaft, we installed that one and it did not make any more noise,
it made a clicking noise , I assume it had a bad spot on the input shaft we reused the cluster gear,
I would take it back apart,or at least inspect the trans with out the cover on it, and inspect
the gears while rotating the gears,
before you install it and have to take it back out,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

Danny/Texas    -- 05-25-2010 @ 6:44 AM
  You may have hit on something. Before I hooked up the transmission, it rolled very well. However, when I installed it, it wouldn't roll at all while in neutral. Then out of no where it broke loose and started turning. But with every rotation, it seemed to get tight at about the same spot.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-25-2010 @ 4:16 PM
  DannyTexas
the input shaft and cluster gear are always connected, and only time the 2 stop spinning is when the clutch is depressed, even in neutral they are spining
so you might want to check the teeth on both gears, and just for ho ho's. if you have oil in the trans,drain the oil and check with a magnet for any metal particiles. drain in a clean pan,
and be sure to check both big bearing,they should have be replaced when apart, along with the rest of the bearing,, they are not that hard to find and not that much money, it is a lot of work later on to replace,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1292