Topic: 34 steering wheel removal

MICHV8    -- 05-19-2019 @ 6:06 AM
  I need to either change the steering wheel bearing or change
the steering box as the car is VERY difficult to turn...how hard
is either task?
Thanks for the help

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-19-2019 @ 2:07 PM
  hi MICHV8
first of all. check your tire pressure. did this stiff steering start all of a sudden ?
try jacking the car up and remove the drag link and see if you can swing the wheels
back and forth, if it is hard to do you have either frozen king pins or maybe the tie-rods need lubing,s
you have to diagnosis to problem,,, to make sure you repair what is needed,

to remove the steering wheel
what model do you have,?
open cars are easier, and coupes with roll down windows,
Sedans you might have to take out rear window, and drop the column down, [ much more work involved ]
loosen the column on the frame. so it will move, and also the floorboards, ouch!
try not to bend the rod, they are not easy to find,
you have to take the light switch off at the bottom of steering column, and remove the c clip and pull up the light switch rod
use plenty of rags to mop up excessive grease of the rod,
now you can get at the steering wheel nut,
it might come off, by pulling on the wheel, good luck.
I removed my 37 steering wheel ' with no problems,
if not you might have make a puller,
use a good liquid wrench and soak ,
this is not usually a hard job all depends where the car was stored,
has car be restored before,?
or you doing a restoration on a project car, makes a big difference if it was sitting outside for years,
and all rusted up.
my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN maybe some else can add to this,

therunwaybehind    -- 05-20-2019 @ 1:32 AM
  I was cautious in adjusting the play (on center swing) in my 48 because it seemed that the wear was all in the middle and any movement out of that would jam if the adjustment was taken up too much. Yeah! So a new worm and nut was required which I never did in 20 years.

supereal    -- 05-26-2019 @ 12:54 PM
  The steering gear box sits next to the left side exhaust manifold where it can get very hot, This can turn the oil in the box to rock, causing the bearings to bind. Most older vehicles have suffered from that because the steering gears usually leak, allowing the oil level to drop and lose most, if not all, the oil. We have caused them to loosen up by putting STP in the unit and working the steering with the front wheels off the ground.

1934 Ford    -- 06-26-2019 @ 10:05 AM
  Somebody else on this Forum told about John Deere Corn Head Grease. I've been using
it ever since with good results. Apparently is does melt/thin out from the heat like other lubricants. Comes in a tube like regular grease but I have to put it in the steering box
with a putty knife.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12917