Topic: 1941 Ford Convertible

tmclassics    -- 05-24-2010 @ 8:37 AM
  The gentleman I recieved this car from indicated that the car has a rare 100HP engine that is original. The heads are stamped 59AB, has a holley carbruetor and a large coil next to the left hand radiator hose. Could this car have come with this engine and is it a 100HP engine? This is different from 85HP engines I have seen.

42wagon    -- 05-24-2010 @ 10:33 AM
  There has been considerable discussion of this topic in the past. Basically Ford had the 90 HP engine and Mercury had the 100 Hp engine. There are indications that the 100 HP engine was available on special order for police cars but not for the general public. I believe your vehicle is equipped with the 46-48 engine as a replacement. If you intend to show it you will have to have documentation to prove that it is indeed original equipment.

supereal    -- 05-24-2010 @ 10:37 AM
  I doubt that it is the original engine, but more likely a later 42-48 motor. The original '41 has the old style double cap distributor with mounted coil. In the days when salvage yard engines were plentiful and cheap, it is likely the engine was swapped. When we hear of a decades old car with the original engine in running order, it raises doubts of the truth of the statement, and is often used as a "come on" to sell a car unless there is paperwork to verify the claim. Rebuilt engines are not "original" in the full sense of the statement.

tmclassics    -- 05-24-2010 @ 1:07 PM
  I also thought this might be a Mercury engine,howeverI think the Mercury enginehas the Mercury casting on the heads. This one has the Ford. I questioned the previous owner (78 yrs old) about the engine, but he insisted it was original. This car has every factory option available including under seat heater and locking gas cap, etc. It has the onwers manual and the Ford tool kit. Thanks for the information.

EdB    -- 05-24-2010 @ 2:43 PM
  TMC,
Is the engine painted green? or another color?
Thanks,

tmclassics    -- 05-24-2010 @ 5:39 PM
  Yes, the engine is a dark green. I tried to look for casting numbers in the block but could not find any.

ford38v8    -- 05-24-2010 @ 8:35 PM
  TM, The heads on your engine indicate that they are for a '46-'48 engine, which could have been installed (later) on an original '41 engine, but not likely. Your coil mount sounds like it's a '46-'48 engine also.

With a flashlight and a small mirror, look at the top of the engine bell housing back behind the oil filler by the firewall. If it is a '46-'48, it will have a large 59 cast into the block. If it is, don't feel bad about it, as this is the best engine of the flathead era!

There is an excellent book available on this website that covers your car: "The '41-'48 Ford Book" covers many if not most of the questions you'll have about your car. Enjoy the book, and consider joining our club, the EFV8CA.

Alan

tmclassics    -- 05-25-2010 @ 6:24 PM
  Yes, it has the number 59 on the back of the block. Thanks for the info.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1291