Topic: Filling 36 Ford Gas Tank

36fordor    -- 05-23-2010 @ 5:31 AM
  Does anyone know a trick to getting the 36 gas tank full through the gooseneck filler pipe? Gas enters tank through filler slowly, often backs up, shuts off pump, etc. Eforts to pump small amount don't work well often splashing gas out although tank not full. Would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

trjford8    -- 05-23-2010 @ 7:39 AM
  This is a familiar problem with Fords right up through 40. Instead of letting the trigger hang down towards the ground I reverse the nozzle and point it upwards and slowly fill the tank. This works the best for me, but it still is not fool proof.

Stroker    -- 05-23-2010 @ 8:17 AM
  This venting problem has vexed Fords for years. My 38 would "vomit" fuel even when hand pumping
from our old Bowser pump at the ranch. They just seem to take fuel very slowly. If anyone has a
cure, I'd love to hear it. I am aware that they changed the design of the vent mid-year in 38, but
I'm not sure it improved things that much.

flatheadfan    -- 05-23-2010 @ 10:04 AM
  Guys-

Fuel over-flow is a problem for many early Fords. The original air exhaust system is "primitive" at best and is definitely not up to exhausting air at the rate modern pumps can fill the tank. However, all is not lost. To get around this there are two possible solutions. Note the pictures.

The simplest type is simply welding a 1/4" o.d. tube (brake line tube is o.k.), inside the existing neck. This will prevent about 90% of any back-ups.

The second type is a little more complicated but prevents 100% of back-ups and you can fill the tank as fast as possible.

First, you will need to drill an extra hole in the tank near the fuel sender outlet. I used a 3/8" bit . I then used a brass 90 degree elbow with a short 1/2" piece of copper tubing on one end. It is a good idea to make a small piece of gasket material for a seal or use a good liquid sealer. Insert the threaded part of the elbow into the hole and attach the brass female cap (with copper tube attach) on the inside of the tank. I know this sounds difficult but if the drilled hole is close to the fuel sender hole you can get the cap on with a minimum of difficulty. Tighten the cap/elbow. On the top side of the tank connect another 1/4" copper or steel tubing (about two inches long) to the brass elbow. I added a brass bushing to the tube on the end to make for a tight hose fit. You are now finished with the tank. Next drill a 1/4" hole in the fuel neck just below the fuel tank opening cap. Add a 6-8 inch piece of 1/4" steel tubing. Insert one end of the tubing in the previously drilled hole. Weld this tube at the top and bottom. I also added a 1/4" bushing to the end of the tube Finally, just connect the two tubes with a piece of fuel resistant hose with some clamps and you are done!

I have several pictures but it is cumbersome to resize and re-enter each picture on this forum. To avoid that work just go to: http://picasaweb.google.com/flatheadfan/GasNeck#. I have six pictures there that might help explain what I am talking about.

Hope this helps.

Tom

supereal    -- 05-23-2010 @ 10:14 AM
  That is one of the reasons I like my plastic tank. It has a separate vent line that fits inside the left rear fender and has a one way valve at the top. The tank came from Yogi's. I don't know if the system is available without the tank. A similar vent can be rigged as set out above, using a one way valve commonly available at hot tub dealers. Either way, it sure beats getting your shoes or Sunday best soaked with gas.

Dave D    -- 05-31-2010 @ 1:57 AM
  You could just try and fill it slower, that's what I do on my 35's. I pull the rubber sleeve back on the filling nozzle for air. It doesn't take that much time, you are only talking a fourteen gallon tank.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1284