Topic: 1938 Ford Cowl Vent Help , Please

mikeys3gs    -- 04-20-2019 @ 5:43 AM
  Hey Guys :
I have a 1938 Ford Deluxe and I need assistance putting back the cowl vent mechanism back to a good working sealed position for when it rains. The car was recently painted and I have glues the seal in position and attached the cowl vent to the arm mechanism but for reasons I am unsure of , when you move the arm to open & close the vent ; it locks up and really doesn't work like it should

Can someone send photos of their good working mechanisms under their dashes , so I can look at how to do this properly or even to send any documentation . I can't find anything on line for pics' or doc's to help me

Thank you in advance ; Mikey

zeke3    -- 04-20-2019 @ 8:32 AM
  Attached are the instructions for a 1940 car which should be very similar to your year. Your car may have rivets for the pivots instead of the capscrews shown in this file. I have read elsewhere of others having difficulty in getting the cowl vent to close properly after replacing the sealing gasket. I believe one solution is to weight the cowl vent cover down for several days to fully seat the gasket. I have not tried this yet.

I have a 1937 car and the cowl vent does not fit in the opening properly without a gasket, it is too far forward on the right hand side. I think the cowl vent cover may have been deformed slightly by trying to close the cover by pulling on the handle after installing a new gasket many years ago. I plan to remove the vent and check it before fitting a new gasket. I also need to clean and paint the water tray and gasket channel.

zeke3    -- 04-20-2019 @ 8:32 AM
  Last page of instructions.

Drbrown    -- 04-20-2019 @ 9:50 AM
  Aside from the working of the mechinizum, does the vent door close on the new gasket correctly ?

I remember a forum post some years back that said they couldn't close their vent door tightly after putting a new gasket in. The fellow said he finally fixed it by putting a brick on top of the vent door when the car was parked. and after a while the gasket finally formed to the shape of the vent door edges. I probably would have "shaved" to gasket down a little myself.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-20-19 @ 9:56 AM

mikeys3gs    -- 04-20-2019 @ 9:53 AM
  Hi Zeke

Thank you in advance for all of your document pictures of the instructions , as I greatly appreciate it very much. It is also clear from looking at the pics that I am seeming to be missing a bracket and I might be in need of doing some retrofitting of what I have to get mine to work. Yes; I have installed the new gasket yesterday afternoon and I might have to put some heavier weight on the seal overnight until Monday again to compress the new gasket as I was just working with it and trying to get a decent fitted position again.........on , off , on , off hahahaha #hotrodding hahahaha

I will try to take and add some pics later because when I have everything installed , and I move the arm , it all seems to buckle and not move the cowl vent up or down until I use my hands and it just doesn't shut and leaves about a 1/2" - 3/4" gap when closed as best possible way ; then you drive and it lifts up

hahahaha......#ugh #hotrodding

Please keep sending your advice and suggestions

Mikey

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-20-2019 @ 1:12 PM
  Hi Mikey,
I don't know how similar or different the 37 cowl vent assembly is, compared to your 38. Find attached some details of my 37 cowl vent stuff. You may have already seen this and need other pics?
Thanks,
gregg

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 4-20-19 @ 3:27 PM

40cpe    -- 04-20-2019 @ 3:49 PM
  I have a '38 deluxe and tried to take pictures but there is too much clutter in the way to get anything helpful. I will say that it is not like the above pictures of the '37 assembly. I don't think my '38 has ever been apart. If you have pictures of your assembly, maybe I can compare yours to mine and see any discrepancy.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12839