Topic: Lock cylinder for 37 Coupe Trunk

Newms    -- 04-17-2019 @ 10:19 AM
  Anyone know where I can find a new or good used lock cylinder for my 37 Coupe trunk latch?
Thanks.
Bob
Tallahassee, FL

nelsb01    -- 04-17-2019 @ 12:39 PM
  According to my Hurd Lock book you will need a lock that is 29/32 inches long.
It is also the same lock as for a 1938-39 rear deck handle.
Since you do not give any other details, are you able to get your old one out? You need to turn the key 1/4 turn and then using a small nail or awl, push down on the pin and the lock should pull out. Some releasing agent (like WD-40) may help.

Send me a PM and we can talk further about the lock.

MG    -- 04-17-2019 @ 3:44 PM
  Here's a complete handle with cylinder lock & key for $44.99 > https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-ford-trunk-handle-nice-original/123706779548?hash=item1ccd7fa79c:g:FWMAAOSwZW5aILti

Newms    -- 04-17-2019 @ 6:06 PM
  Thanks. I am hearing conflicting answers. I have heard that it is the same as the 32 - 36 and not the same as the 38-39.
I can pull the cylinder I have and send you a picture. Thanks.
Bob

40 Coupe    -- 04-18-2019 @ 5:27 AM
  Same as 32-39 plus many spare tire locks. The one on ebay is aftermarket reproduction since it has a circular face. The Ford cylinder is round with an additional square shape on top. There are two manufactures , Hurd and Briggs & Stratton. The Briggs cylinder is made of white metal with a stainless face it is typically used on covered locks since the cover will keep water, snow and ice out. The Hurd cylinder is brass and nickel plated. Your lock also needs the proper internal parts as shown below. Try John McClure mcclurex at bellsouth dot net.

Newms    -- 04-18-2019 @ 7:51 AM
  Thank your very much. Like a lot of my projects, it started out simple and is taking on a life of its own!

Newms    -- 04-18-2019 @ 8:33 AM
  I pulled the cylinder from the lock. It was easier than expected. It is exactly as pictured by 40 Coupe. Couldn't make out his code but mine is FX076. It is not the same as the cylinders being advertised on e-Bay as '38 - '39. It is identical to being advertised as '32 - '36. My coupe was made around December '36.
Thanks for the help.

nelsb01    -- 04-18-2019 @ 1:46 PM
  The code is the key code --different for every lock .
The lock I have has a different end on it -- like a pin, and not a flat surface.

51woodie    -- 04-19-2019 @ 4:48 AM
  I just did some dealing with John Mc, and he is great to work with. The ignition key for my '46 coupe was either worn or poorly cut from recopying, and the trunk key worked but would not lock the glove box. John told me how to find the codes by explaining how to get the trunk lock cylinder out to get the code, and pull the door lock out to get the code for the ignition, as they match, to cut new keys. He keyed a NOS glove box lock to match the trunk, and cut two sets of correct keys. He also had a NOS ignition switch that I was looking for, and sent me a picture of the parts he was sending me. In short, his service is outstanding.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12834