Topic: No Oil Pressure

cwchesnut2007    -- 04-11-2019 @ 4:01 PM
  When I started the engine in a 1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8 I had 30 ibs plus oil pressure. Ran the engine for a half hour, did not over heat or loose oil pressure, engine sounded great. The next time I started it, it started but there was o lps oil pressure. The gauge works when I by pass the sending unit, so I installed a new one. Still no pressure. I am lost for ideas.

pauls39coupe    -- 04-11-2019 @ 6:07 PM
  I would try a mechanical gauge to see if you do or do not have pressure. Your replacement sending unit may be defective. I hope you did not use teflon tape on the threads of the sending unit, that would insulate it from the block.
Is the wiring to your gauge intact?

This message was edited by pauls39coupe on 4-11-19 @ 6:12 PM

cwchesnut2007    -- 04-11-2019 @ 6:45 PM
  I removed the top of the oil filter and filter, Started the engine and no oil appeared to be entering the filter housing

This message was edited by cwchesnut2007 on 4-11-19 @ 6:47 PM

Drbrown    -- 04-13-2019 @ 6:42 AM
  "Paul" is right. Get a mechanical gauge on the engine before you go any further. If it finds no pressure could be a number of things.

40cpe    -- 04-13-2019 @ 10:04 AM
  I hope we hear the outcome of this. If the engine has no oil pressure you don't want to run it any more. Without buying a gauge you can remove the oil pressure sender and crank on the starter. If the oil pump is working oil will flow out the hole. I would remove the spark plugs and use 12v to the starter to spin the engine. If no oil flows, possibilities are that the drive gear is spinning on the cam, loose or broken pick-up tube, or bad pump.

supereal    -- 04-14-2019 @ 10:32 AM
  The usual cause of a sudden "no oil pressure" problem is that the tube between the oil pump and the pickup has come loose and either dropped the pickup in the pan, or caused it to rotate so the pickup was lifted above the oil level. At our shop we alway braze the connection to keep it secure. It was just a "push fit" to begin with. To check it the oil pan must be dropped.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12820