Topic: '36 Phaeton - Getting the Hood Open

Garrison202    -- 04-07-2019 @ 7:40 PM
  My grandmother's second husband owned a 1936 Ford Phaeton (see attached picture). She maintained it dutifully in the years following his death in 1969 and, several times a year, she'd take it out for a spin. I had it in storage since her death in 2007 and, just last year. I found someone who brought it back to life.
I haven't driven it yet. I need plates for it and, first, I need to insure it. For that, they say I'll need the Identification number off the engine. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't get the engine compartment open. I pull up on the latch handles on either side of the hood and can't get it to budge. I know so little about the car!
Is there a trick to it? Is there a catch somewhere that needs to be undone? Any help you might give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so Much!
John

3w2    -- 04-07-2019 @ 9:10 PM
  You push down on the hood handles, not lift up, and then pull out both handles enough to clear the catches and then lift up.

Very likely the engine will not have a number itself; that number will be on top of the chassis frame on the left side approximately above the steering gear box. It will also appear on the front upper portion of the transmission bell housing. Ford did not number the engines when they were originally manufactured, just the accompanying transmission and that number was stamped into the chassis frame when the engine/transmission assembly was installed in the chassis on the assembly line. In some jurisdictions, if an engine was replaced with a rebuilt engine in the car's later life that jurisdiction required that the engine be numbered, but those numbers usually bear no resemblance to the sequence of numbers used originally by Ford. Your original number will have an 18 prefix followed by seven digits, usually with a star preceding the 18 prefix and following the last digit of the seven.

nelsb01    -- 04-07-2019 @ 9:17 PM
  Excellent opportunity to enjoy an old Ford V-8.
Yes, the hood handles are spring loaded. Push down on the handle (one at a time until you get familiar with them) and the hook will release from the inner panel. They may seem hard to push down, but they will move.
Once you get both on one side un-attached, you can use them to lift the hood up. Only lift one side of the hood at a time -- doing both will cause the opposite side to fall down.
Ford used a number that is stamped into the upper frame rail by the steering housing. It should start with a "star" followed by 18 and then more numbers, until you see the ending "star". This is the number that should be on your title, but may not be.

They may ask for an engine number, but there really is not one. It is possible, if the original engine and transmission are still in the car, the number I mentioned that is on the upper frame rail, was also stamped on the top of the transmission housing. To see that, you will have to lift the floor mat and also the floor board. Start with the frame number--- it is still in the original place and easier to get at.
You may have to scr*pe the frame rail with a wire brush to get the numbers to appear.
Good luck and enjoy your family history!!!

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 4-7-19 @ 9:20 PM

42wagon    -- 04-08-2019 @ 3:14 AM
  Be very careful how aggressive you are with a scr*per or wire brush. Those numbers may be very faint and easily erased by too much scr*ping.

TomO    -- 04-08-2019 @ 6:49 AM
  Congratulations on bringing another Ford back to life. I hope that you get to enjoy yours as much a s I enjoy mine.

Do you have a title for the car? It should have the number that you are looking for. The insurance company will want the serial number that is on the title.

Tom

coup    -- 04-08-2019 @ 7:26 AM
  DO NOT lay the hood over on other side, there should be an indent to hold it up.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-08-2019 @ 8:05 AM
  John, now that you are the caretaker of that beautiful car it might be a good idea, if you aren't already a member, to join the Early Ford V-8 Club. One of the items offered by the club is a book for the '35/'36 Ford. It's full of information specifically for your car, it's well worth it!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12809