Topic: '46 Coupe Courtesy Light

51woodie    -- 04-07-2019 @ 6:02 PM
  How do I open up the courtesy lights, to check the bulbs and service the on/off switch? Pry somewhere with a screwdriver would be my guess, but I prefer to learn from experience, not experimentation. Especially when working on something that is hard to replace if I broke it.

Why do my pictures turn sideways when I post?

51woodie    -- 04-08-2019 @ 12:20 PM
  I'm surprised no one responded to my question. Maybe it was because I had the answer but was not sure, or maybe it was too simple a job. In any event, I did get a response on the Barn, so now I feel comfortable about taking the light apart.

len47merc    -- 04-08-2019 @ 12:51 PM
  Yes 51woodie it pries off but not with a screwdriver. Using a softer nylon pry tool at most, and even then by placing a firm surface of non-marring, non-staining plastic or the like under the pry tool so as not to damage that beautiful headliner material.

BUT...before you even try that, try quickly flipping the on/off toggle switch back and forth several times. Those things are notorious for becoming dirty, dusty and corroded and sometimes cycling it several times will adequately clean the contacts and render the light functional again. My '47's light, for which the car sat for >40 years in storage, was brought back to life in this manner without prying off the cover. Fwiw

Steve

51woodie    -- 04-08-2019 @ 5:15 PM
  Steve, Thank you for your response and tips on doing the job. I did get the light assembly off and found a real jackpot. Someone was in there before and did a hack job, as they taped over the wires with masking tape then vinyl tape to insulate them. I also found that insulation was missing up inside the roof area. I'll fix that by cutting off the terminal, sliding a length of woven wire loom over the wire then install a new terminal. The switch unfortunately had self destructed. The fiber piece that holds the two contacts is broken, and the little ball that goes on top of the spring in the switch toggle is missing. I will have to look for a replacement socket/switch assembly, which I hope I can find.

Ritzy1    -- 04-09-2019 @ 3:07 AM
  Working on the same thing for my '48. I'm heading to Rhode Island Wiring Service (http://www.riwire.com/) today to see if I can source replacement components for the pillar lights, under hood light, backup light and maybe even the trunk light. Good luck with yours.

This message was edited by Ritzy1 on 4-9-19 @ 3:09 AM

51woodie    -- 04-09-2019 @ 4:08 AM
  Ritzy1 I sent you a PM, so let me know what you find.

Brian

Ritzy1    -- 04-10-2019 @ 2:43 AM
  Was able to get to Rhode Island Wiring yesterday. What a place! Got the full tour from Marsha. At first she went around to various bins to put together the parts that I would need. Then she asked if I wanted her to put it together for me, for just $4 each. Easy decision! She asked what kind/color of wire I wanted, and within a few minutes, she was back with the finished product. She then put the new wires into the sockets and reattached the one to the switch. I took the un-switched one back apart for illustration. Check out the finished product.

This message was edited by Ritzy1 on 4-10-19 @ 2:44 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12807