Topic: '37 woodgrain details

Tim_Bowers    -- 05-22-2010 @ 9:17 AM
  After looking the best I could through the '37 Ford book, (very well done!), I didn't come up with a definite answer on whether the window trim on a '37 Standard (60hp) closed car was woodgrained.

From dis-assembly, clearly the dash was grained in Mahogany, but the window trim was not as revealing on whether is had originally been grained. My suspicion is that it was not.

Anybody have a definitive answer?

http://www.stellarrestorations.com/1937FordStandardTudor/index.php

Thanks in advance,

Tim Bowers, owner
Stellar Antique Auto Restorations
www.stellarrestorations.com

This message was edited by Tim_Bowers on 5-22-10 @ 9:52 AM

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 05-22-2010 @ 10:07 AM
  Tim the 1937 Ford Body Parts Book lists the 74 and 78 60 hp & 85 hp standard tudor RH door Strip (door window finish) as mahogany finish and the Deluxe 78 as american walnut grain finish. I hope this helps.

Tim_Bowers    -- 05-22-2010 @ 12:41 PM
  That does help! Thanks.

Tim Bowers, owner

Tim_Bowers    -- 05-27-2010 @ 12:13 AM
  Figures. Today we were using the '37 Handbook and ended up finding this information after all.

Tim Bowers, owner

parrish    -- 05-28-2010 @ 8:08 AM
  anybody have suggestions on woodgraining kits? The roll on kits that have the grain plates look like they work well and produce factory like results...

supereal    -- 05-28-2010 @ 8:14 AM
  I'm not much impressed with the roll on woodgrain. The curved surfaces make getting a uniform imprint difficult, if not impossible. I spent part of a winter doing the dash and garnish on on '47 convertible using the attached tips. The main difference was that I started with a light background instead of the dark. After getting the effect I wanted, I sealed it with a few coats of clear polyurethane. Ten years later, it is still good, and some have asked if the dash is actually wood! It takes lots of time, and many false starts, but once you get the "hang" of it, it comes together.

supereal    -- 05-28-2010 @ 8:18 AM
  Here is page one.

supereal    -- 05-28-2010 @ 8:19 AM
  Now, let's try for page 2.

parrish    -- 05-28-2010 @ 8:22 PM
  thanks. I saved the pages and I'll see if I can make it work. Biggest issue would be the accuracy of the base color. I need to do a 39 and a 36. The 39 has everything hod rod blue from 1959 with nothing left of the original woodgrain. The rear ash tray in tudors and fordors was always a good source for mint woodgrain, but mine is a coupe! My 36 is an early 36, but I'm going to give it the late 36 walnut woodgrain. I'll keep moving forward.

TomO    -- 05-29-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  Parrish, I did my own woodgrain using gel stains over a base coat. It took quite a bit of time to do just the strips around the windows. I practiced on a piece of sheet steel bought at the hardware store. I found that you need a graining comb and a flogging brush to get any semblance of grain. You will also need several artists brushes of different sizes and a couple of fan brushes of different sizes.

For the price of the GrainIt kit, you can get your dash done professionally. Here is a link to a site that has a good process that brings the cost down to a more affordable price. Their results are very good, but ask them to put deglosser in the clear coat, so it doesn't look plastic.

http://mmcustomfinishing.com/Site/Home.html

Tom

supereal    -- 05-29-2010 @ 9:11 AM
  Be sure to match your base color to the original before you remove it. I used enamel "hobby paint" from a craft store and mixed it until it was a close match. I agree with TomO's suggestion regarding clear coat. I used the "satin" variety of polyurethane for the seal coat on my pieces. Like most new attempts, by the time you are finished, it always seems that it might be better, but sometimes you have to settle for "it's as good as it got". I was careful to use cup washers under the mounting screws to protect the paint, which takes a long time to really harden.

39 Ken    -- 05-29-2010 @ 5:49 PM
  Parrish, I'm with you on doing the woodgraining as the Ford factory did it. Here is my '39 dash that was done using the factory method. Ken

39 Ken    -- 05-29-2010 @ 5:52 PM
  Here is another. Hopefully, you can see how the wood joints simulating the change of grain direction is perfectly reproduced. Ken

parrish    -- 05-30-2010 @ 8:30 PM
  Thanks everyone...39 Ken: I saved both pictures as that is one beautiful dash! I've had a few 39s and always wanted a really nice dash, so I may bite the bullet and pay the price. I like to do my own work, so that's why I asked about the roll-on kits and the imprint plates. I'm going to do a 36 as well and thought I might use the same straight grain plate with a different base color and grain to save some $$$. Do you happen to have a photo of the window garnish where the grain lines change direction (90 degrees) to simulate a two piece assembly?

39 Ken    -- 06-01-2010 @ 2:48 PM
  Parrish, Here are a couple of the window garnish. Not great pictures but you'll get the idea. Ken

39 Ken    -- 06-01-2010 @ 2:48 PM
  Another.

39 Ken    -- 06-01-2010 @ 2:50 PM
  Last one. I haven't figured how to do multible pics on this site. Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1280