Topic: Bare chassis

tierod    -- 10-12-2009 @ 3:51 PM
  Have a chance to get a fully restored 1936 pass. bare chassis. Plan to build up cowl forward with 36 parts that I can find. Would like to have a sta. wagon body built for installation cowl back. Any idea who builds good quality sta. wagon bodies that the average guy can afford? Thanks.

42wagon    -- 10-12-2009 @ 4:16 PM
  I think you will find that the people offering wood bodies are offering just that - the wood. A station wagon has a steel floor, and a cowl section that is unique to the wagons. There also are a great number of brackets, door hardware, hinges, etc. not to mention the rear fenders and seats that you will need.
The way to do it would be to find a wagon body in need of wood replacement to cannibalize for the needed parts.

tierod    -- 10-12-2009 @ 4:21 PM
  Thanks 42Wagon

This message was edited by tierod on 10-12-09 @ 4:22 PM

Stroker    -- 11-09-2009 @ 4:01 PM
  Another thing to consider is the fact that the wagons
used an "open-top" cowl, like a convertible or phaeton.
Probably not a big deal on your project, but I know that
on later models, the windshields did not open, and the
wipers were cowl mounted, rather than header mounted.

stovebolt    -- 12-21-2009 @ 2:27 PM
  Keep us informed of your progress. I'm thinking of doing the same thing on a 1939 chassis. Have you located any woodie body builders yet? Joe.

Stroker    -- 12-21-2009 @ 3:44 PM
  Tierod:

I posted a "rant" to Stovebolt that pretty much sums up my opinion of trying to build woodies from scratch. The wood is the easy part,thanks to cnc mills, and professional wood suppliers like Carr. the hard part are all those unique metal pieces that tie it all together and make it work.

Stroker

wmsteed    -- 12-22-2009 @ 10:03 AM
  Rather than trying to recreate/clone a wooden station wagon which would be at it's best a very daunting, expensive task, you might be well advised to build a safari type hunting car.
The majority of old safari cars started out as common sedans, the body was cut away leaving the cowl forward in place. A custom wood body was then constructed to the owners needs.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

stovebolt    -- 12-22-2009 @ 1:07 PM
  Continueing with that idea, Ford offered a 112" wheelbase commercial car chassis with cowl and chassis with windshield upon which any special body could be mounted aft of the cowl.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=128