Topic: "46 Ford Ignition Switch

51woodie    -- 03-29-2019 @ 10:02 AM
  How do you open up the ignition switch to check/clean the contacts? Do you lube it with dielectric grease when reassembling?

TomO    -- 03-30-2019 @ 8:24 AM
  Remove the switch from the steering column, carefully bend the tabs that hold the contact plate to the switch body and remove the contact plate. Be careful when you disassemble the switch so you don't drop parts.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-30-2019 @ 10:16 AM
  hi 46 FORD
IF this is the flip switch on the steering column,
what I have done is the bake lite plate with the brass contacts is
removed and see if where the brush make contact is grooved you can place it on a piece of glass and use 400 grit
sand paper and sort of plane it down till groves are removed and clean the brush, and maybe add a little tension to the
brush contacts.,
I never added dielectric grease to mine, but might not hurt,
you can try buying a new plate and brush, buy USA only
getting hard to find NEW OLD STOCK
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

39 Ken    -- 03-31-2019 @ 4:59 AM
  I would not use dielectric grease as it is an insulator, not a conductor of
electric current.

Definition :
"dielectric: insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. When dielectrics are placed in an electric field, practically no current flows in them because, unlike metals, they have no loosely bound, or free, electrons that may drift through the material. Instead, electric polarization occurs."

supereal    -- 04-01-2019 @ 8:28 AM
  The most common problem with the old style ignition switch is the wear path on the contact bakelite piece, followed by a worn slider and/or spring. The best fix is a new body and brush, 81A-3704/9-K, about $20 at C&G. 800/266-0470.

51woodie    -- 04-01-2019 @ 12:59 PM
  Thanks to all for the help. I found a fellow on "The Barn" that has a NOS switch for sale. When I get it, I'll "experiment with my old one, to see if I can make it serviceable for a spare.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12784