Topic: Brake fluid

fatso2114    -- 03-28-2019 @ 2:44 PM
  Hello,going to redo brakes on my 1946 and was wondering if dot 5 is better to use or what would be recommended to use for this job,thanks John

carcrazy    -- 03-28-2019 @ 4:18 PM
  DOT 3 Brake Fluid was originally used in our old Fords and it is still the best brake fluid to use in them.

kubes40    -- 03-29-2019 @ 6:15 AM
  I'm also in the corner for DOT3. Yes, there are issues with it attracting moisture through the rubber hoses. And as such, you are wise to bleed the system every three to five years. Still, with DOT3, you will get a firmer pedal, you can use a correct lamp switch and your chances of leaks are diminished vs. the #5.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 03-29-2019 @ 6:54 AM
  In addition to the other comments, if you do use Dot5 you must have a totally clean system. That means new MC, wheel cylinders, hoses and totally clean lines or new lines.

TomO    -- 03-29-2019 @ 7:18 AM
  I have DOT 5 in both of my cars. The 1940 with the master cylinder under the floor is harder to bleed and get a firm pedal. On the plus side is that I still have the wheel cylinders that I installed 40 years ago and they looked like new when I opened up the system 5 years ago to replace the hoses. I have not had any leak problems, but have to replace the stop light switch every 3 or 4 years.

My 53 has the master cylinder mounted on the firewall and it is very easy to get a hard pedal on it.

If I were to do my brakes over, I would keep DOT 5 in the 53 and change the 40 to DOT 3. With DOT 3 you should get some test strips to check the fluid annually and flush it every other year.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-29-2019 @ 10:10 AM
  HI fatso2114
I had problems with the dot 5 silicone brake fluid. it really was made for high performance driving, so it will not boil away, not really meant for vintage cars, this is my 2 cents,
2 cars that I had problems with,
1 1948 CHEVROLET station wagon I did for a customer, had problems in about 1 year, had to go back,
2 1962 MERCEDES BENZ 190 D had a great pedal , every once in a while, pedal went just about to the FLOOR,!!
both of these cars has all new parts,
also the STOP LIGHT SWITCH, went bad in the Benz,
I heard you have to use a HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE Stop light switch to cure this problem,
I switched over to SYNTHETIC BRAKE fluid, DOT 3 and have had no problems,and you save money,for sure,
just remember ATV'S and MOTORCYCLES have a sealed system with a bladder in the master, so no air enters
this what I believe to be accurate ,maybe I am wrong,
YOU bleed the systems backwards,
regular brake fluid with last for years, and its be around for years
this is my 2 cents 1937RAGTOPMAN you asked for opinions,

pauls39coupe    -- 03-29-2019 @ 6:25 PM
  My car has had DOT 5 since it was built in 1986. The brakes work well and the system is rust free. It does need to have the brake light switch replaced about every 5 years or so, as the do develop leaks. Dot 5 will not absorb water from the air and rust the brake lines and cylinders like early DOT 3. Often these old cars are not driven enough to boil the moisture out of the brake fluid leading to rusty lines etc.
I have not tried sylicone DOT 3 fluid as yet which may be the ultimate answer.

fatso2114    -- 03-30-2019 @ 5:50 AM
  Thanks to all for the info I will stick with the dot 3,John

1934 Ford    -- 03-31-2019 @ 1:05 PM
  I used Dot 5 in a 1940 Ford Pickup in 1983. The truck is still used almost daily and has had only a few drops of Dot 5 added in 2003. Never had any brake repairs since it was installed in a new system. I find no faults with Dot 5. Also did it to my 81 El Camino in 2007 and use it often with no issues either. Dot 3 is very hard on paint and wheel cylinder rubber.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 3-31-19 @ 1:06 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12781