Topic: 1937 Cowl vent handle

srg    -- 03-27-2019 @ 8:54 AM
  A lot of you guys can pull some amazing rabbits out of your hats, so here's one for you. The previous owner wanted a radio, so he bought one of those Dakota Digital CNC machined dash plates to stick a modern radio into the original round hole. The real damage was made when they realized the radio had too much depth behind the dash, so to accommodate it they CUT THE COWL VENT HANDLE OFF UNDER THE DASH. Brilliant. You'd think they would know better, living in New Mexico.
I would be obliged if anyone has a picture or drawing of the intact mechanism because I want airflow, and I want originality. Here's some pictures of the damage. Thank you for any help.

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-28-2019 @ 9:06 AM
  Good luck restoring to original. Here are a couple pics of my 37 cowl vent handle area. Everything is out of the instrument panel area, so I can take any picture you want.
gregg

srg    -- 03-28-2019 @ 7:41 PM
  Thank you sedan delivery! I saved the pictures and I'll check it out tomorrow. If I need more, I will ask.

v8fordman    -- 03-31-2019 @ 5:26 PM
  I can't tell by your picture, but there were two different styles of vent handle assemblies. The early version had a chrome plated handle and the later version had a sheet metal handle with a plastic knob. Sedandelivery's picture is the early version.

trjford8    -- 04-01-2019 @ 5:39 AM
  The original posting appears to be the sheet metal handle. Similar to a 1940 handle and lever.

srg    -- 04-01-2019 @ 7:35 AM
  The handle was cut just in front of a pin coming out of the handle (about an inch long) with a hole drilled in it to probably put a cotter pin through. You can see the pin in the picture, and the hole. None of my books has a drawing of this part. I did have a gentleman contact me saying he had a handle but I am entirely in the dark about what I need. I wish Ford had made good drawings of the parts of their cars. It could turn out like a man having his arm severed above the elbow, and he gets his hand sewn back on without his forearm.

TomO    -- 04-02-2019 @ 8:19 AM
  I can provide you with a drawing of the 1940 handle, but I do not know if it is the same as a 1937 handle. The handle drawing is in the 1940 Body Parts catalog.

Tom

3w2    -- 04-02-2019 @ 10:10 AM
  There were two versions of the '37 handle, the first being the same as the '33-'36 handle. Judging from the photos, your car originally had the early handle. There were other changes to the mechanism made at the same time so a '40 handle would not work in this instance.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-02-2019 @ 10:31 AM
  Here are some pics from my 37. I believe it to be all original parts. I removed it all, cleaned/primered and re-installed.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-02-2019 @ 10:34 AM
  oops, looks like things went wrong when I converted from PPT to jpeg.
Send me a PM if you want me to send you the unconverted file. If you don't have powerpoint installed, I have it correctly converted to a PDF and can send that instead.
gregg

srg    -- 04-03-2019 @ 4:44 AM
  You pulled another rabbit out of the hat! I see from the pictures I had an early cowl vent lever on my 37'. I'm contacting the guy who has a lever and see if his fills the bill. If I can't find the lever arm that's been sawed off, I'll get with my welding buddy maestro and we'll fabricate one. That operational cowl is VERY important here in Arizona. Your meticulousness and pictures are awesome. Thanks for the responses, everyone.

40 Coupe    -- 04-03-2019 @ 4:47 AM
  The roller (48-700615) missing from 37sedandeliverys photos fits over the threaded shaft (0.275"ID) and inside the cowl vent lever slot(0.400"OD) it is the same width as the lever (0.100). It allows smoother operation but usually is worn away from use and lack of any lubrication since it is made of brass.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-03-2019 @ 9:06 AM
  Good catch 40coupe. I mistook the spring for the roller. I hunted down an old original vent swing arm and found the original roller.
gregg

3w2    -- 04-04-2019 @ 8:37 AM
  Thanks for correcting me regarding the handle being somewhat different from its '33-'36 predecessors. I didn't have either my '37 nor a '37 body parts catalogue handy and that's a recipe for making mistakes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12780