Topic: Overheating 51 flathead

Andy0812    -- 05-21-2010 @ 8:41 AM
  I've had an overheating problem. My truck overheats while driving in the city. On the higway it's fine. Everyone has been great with suggestions. I finally brought it to an old timer. He tells me the timing is at 6 not 2 and the vacuum advance is not working. He suggests replacing the vacuum advance set the timing to spec. and my overheating problem is solved. Anyone agree because I've heard as many many solutions to the problem.

supereal    -- 05-21-2010 @ 10:48 AM
  Yes, a problem with the vacuum advance will cause overheating and backfiring, but since you report that the truck is OK on the highway, but heats in traffic, the radiator is suspect. If your radiator is original, or hasn't been changed to your knowledge of the truck, It is more than likely the heart of your problem. Many are reluctant to replace a radiator because it is expensive, but if all else has been checked, it is time. Radiators were designed with almost no extra capacity, and when they become partially clogged with deposits, overheating is the usual result. At our shop, we replace radiators on much newer vehicles for the same reason.

Andy0812    -- 05-21-2010 @ 11:59 AM
  I had the radiator checked. It was OK. Here's the update. They found that someone had reversed the fan. It now works properly. However, it still runs slightly hot. I would imagine after a new vacuum advance is installed and timing adjusted. It may solve the rest of the problem?

trjford8    -- 05-21-2010 @ 8:18 PM
  Timing is critical on a Ford 6. When set correctly the 6 runs much cooler that the V-8.

supereal    -- 05-22-2010 @ 8:02 AM
  How was the radiator "checked"? Visually or flow tested? Even flow testing isn't always effective, as it doesn't measure heat transfer which is affected by deposits and/or loose fins.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1278