Topic: installing a Radiator

gfstew    -- 03-22-2019 @ 7:32 PM
  what is the easiest way to remove and install a Radiator in a 36 Ford ?? Do I have to remove the Grill

pinnsky    -- 03-22-2019 @ 9:07 PM
  Yes, and the hood too! Also loosen the headlights and carefully place them on the fenders on soft cloths. It makes it easier if they are moved aside. You don't need to remove them.
The lower hoses are hard to remove.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-23-2019 @ 10:39 AM
  hi
I think you could just remove the generator and the fan belt
and the hood,
cover the headlights and fenders with a moving blanket for protection,
you should be able to tilt the radiator back and pull it out,
bottom hoses go on first,
have some give you a hand, it is heavy,
I was able to remove the radiator on my 37 without removing the grill,
this us quite hard to do, tricky for sure,
use cardboard for protection, if you think you might bang into the dist or something else that might be in the way
check you water pumps at this time, for any play or seepage ,noisy spin by hand, to check
hope this helps 1937 RAGTOPMAN

coup    -- 03-23-2019 @ 2:23 PM
  In the good old days, we just cut the bottom hose and then used new ones.
If you work alone, it would make hood lighter if side panels removed first.

trjford8    -- 03-23-2019 @ 4:53 PM
  You might be able to do it by not pulling the grille, but in the interest of safety and cutting the chances of any damage to the fenders I would pull the grille. With the grill out of the car you can take the radiator out through the front. With the grille in the car you have to lift the radiator up and over the fenders to get it out. You will also have to remove the generator to give extra space to tilt the radiator.

3w2    -- 03-24-2019 @ 5:07 PM
  Because it is so much easier to remove and replace the grille on a '36 than on a '37, I agree that it is better to remove the grille in this instance. If it were a '37, I would be sorely tempted to not remove the grille.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12770