Topic: Radio Restoration

Phil    -- 05-20-2010 @ 10:05 PM
  My project is a 46 Ford Convertible. I have a Wonderbar radio I'd like in the car. I wish to have tubes replaced with transisors. Don't care about sereo, but would like am/fm and of course it has to remain 6volts and the appearance must remain original. I have a recent Hemmings and there seem to be many in the business. Who do we like for good quality and reasonable pricing? I actually have two Wonderbars and wonder if there value is enough to ask someone to accept one as at least part payment for work on the other. Thanks Phil

supereal    -- 05-21-2010 @ 7:09 AM
  I had the Wonderbar radio in my '47 rebuilt, and now the bar is used as the switch between AM & FM. That was a long time ago, and I don't recall the cost. The reinstallation required a 6 to 12 volt upconverter, and flipping the input polarity by isolating the body of the converter. There are lots of good rebuilders out there, but be sure to ask them about these factors if you plan to use the original 6 volt system

tbirdhandyman    -- 05-27-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  Phil: I had the Roto-Selector radio in my '41 Mercury converted to AM/FM with an inverter to charge my GPS system. It remains 6 volt postive gnd. The man that did my radio is Bill Abate and his website is www.classiccarradiodoctor.com. Open his site and click on "miscellaneous", then "1941 Ford radio conversion" for photos and information about the conversion. The unit wakes up on FM, but an off/on twist of the switch changes it to AM. The foot station selector works and the unit looks as original. You tell Bill what you want and he will give you a price. He could not install AM/FM led lamps in this unit, so he returned some money to me, that I would never expected to receive. You get what you pay for, and this radio is the hit of my restoration. Please see Merc Discussion under Mar/Apr V-8 Times. Tbirdhandyman

cruiseinbob    -- 05-31-2010 @ 5:22 PM
  Hey Phil
the best in the business to fix your radio the way you want is Scott's Electronics 157 New Madison Road West Minster SC 29693 864-647-9924

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1276