Topic: Hard start when motor is 190degrees

sarahcecelia    -- 03-12-2019 @ 1:28 PM
  When the motor on my '50 is 190 degrees and I shut it down and try to restart it 5-10 minutes later it wont start unless I pour water over the heads. Then in 5-10 minutes it will start after pumping the accelerator about 50 times!I disconnected the fuel line at the firewall, and blew in it and my friend took the gas cap off and he heard the gas bubbling; so the line is clear.then my friend cranked it while I put my hand over the carburetor to choke it and it started. Once it running, it's unstoppable and running very well. Somehow it seems that the carburetor is loosing its' fuel, but there are no visible leaks. IDEAS?????

BUCKAWHO    -- 03-12-2019 @ 4:32 PM
  Why do you run it so hot? I'd replace the thermostat with a 160* one. And pour water on the heads on a hot engine???? NEVER! Sounds like a good way to have cracked heads! Or worse. Have the starter rebuilt, and never touch the throttle when trying to start a hot engine, until it fires up. Your hot engine just boils the fuel out of the carb after you shut it off. Whew! It's hot here! BT

TomO    -- 03-12-2019 @ 7:43 PM
  When this happens, look down the throat of the carb and operate the accelerator, you should see 2 strong streams of gas. If you do not see them, your carburetor is leaking. Have it rebuilt.

If you see the streams, check the spark.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 03-12-2019 @ 7:44 PM
  That won't crack the heads. I know a lot of guys that did that with these Fords when I was a kid at 16 years old. I asked them was it on fire and they said,"no, it's just a little hot." They said they did it to cool them down, and laughed. Then they said,"Son, these heads are heavy cast iron!" Another guy about 35 years old said, "Son, this is a Ford! it ain,t no darn Chevy"

sarahcecelia    -- 03-12-2019 @ 7:57 PM
  Thanks Tom, I know that . Those are the streams from the acceleration pump jets. This cars an old junker, just used to run errands. But on the road it runs real good, and when it starts 5 minutes after shut down or when it's cold, it says err, and its running! It doesn't crank a quarter turn and that's it! It always ran a little on the hot side,but never boils over- but it's not worth spending much cash on. 190 is not too hot , a little hotter than I'd like, but for what I paid for it it's okay.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-12-2019 @ 8:38 PM
  I'll get back into it and check it more. I think it's vapor lock, but I never heard of that, and never had it with the '50 I owned at eighteen, and I drove the h-ll out of that car!

Regards, Steve Lee

mfirth    -- 03-13-2019 @ 4:48 AM
  The fuel we have today "boils or perk's" and evaporates easier than yesteryear. I have seen it bubbling in a clear plastic fuel filter...... I have 180 stats in my 8BA and it runs @ 180. When it's hot outside, the car is hard to start because of the gas expanding causing flooding etc. Electric fuel pump solved all my issues including vapor lock.
mike

sarahcecelia    -- 03-13-2019 @ 5:41 AM
  Thank you Mike. Is that true with the"non ethanol fuel" too? If it is, then that's my problem!

Regards, Steve Lee

cliftford    -- 03-13-2019 @ 6:31 AM
  How's the manifold vacuum? Any leaks?

missouriron    -- 03-13-2019 @ 10:32 AM
  You mentioned that the carb still has fuel in it and squirts two streams when pressing the accelerator. It may flood when you shut it off?????? Try hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor when trying to start after the engine is heat soaked.

May not work, but it is an easy thing to try.

Ron Clark

Ron

mfirth    -- 03-13-2019 @ 12:08 PM
  Steve, i don't think non ethanol is as bad, but that's just my experience here in Ohio. My understanding is that different states are formulated differently. I am no expert, just stuff I've read & experienced.
Ron is right about starting a flooded engine...don;t pump it, just ease it to the floor to let more air flow......
Good luck, mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12741