Topic: 1950 gas tank

sarahcecelia    -- 03-08-2019 @ 7:47 AM
  My '50 Ford sedan has a piece about 1/8 " thick where the sender unit mounts. It has the 6 holes to mount the sender, but being mounted 1/8" higher gives false readings. I tried with a screw driver to pry it out, but it wouldn't budge. What's with this? I know the standard tanks don't have this piece there.Who did this and why?Is it epoxied in? Is this an aftermarket thing? What to do??

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 03-08-2019 @ 8:23 AM
  Without a photo it may be impossible to offer "spot on" advice.
However, every tank I have ever worked on has a reinforcement plate spot welded in that very area. Without it, one would be fastening the sending unit to nothing more than sheet metal.
Also, that 1/8" you refer to is not making a discernable difference in the gauge accuracy. No how - no way.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-8-19 @ 8:23 AM

Drbrown    -- 03-08-2019 @ 8:26 AM
  If you can't remove the metal piece (stock or not), can you bend the float arm in a way that the sender will make the gauge show near correct ?

sarahcecelia    -- 03-09-2019 @ 4:07 PM
  Thanks "Kubes."

The real problem I'm having is: A friend gave me a nice, working, original used sending unit for a ( '50 sedan model) I hooked it up- and with the float up, it read full on my dash gauge, down it read empty on my dash gauge. Great!!

It has 6 mount hole like the tank flange. When I tried to put it in the hole, the part just under the flange, was to big to go in no matter what I tried??!!

The unit has 2 steps in the housing where the" works are," the 1st, (closest to the float arm is the smaller, and the next one is the larger, about 1/8th " bigger than the hole. What's with that??

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 03-10-2019 @ 8:34 AM
  You probably have an aftermarket fuel tank. Most of them were made for the aftermarket sending units which have a smaller body than the original ones. Your description of the sending unit fits the original type sending unit, but a photo would show us what you have.

Your choices are: use an aftermarket sending unit; replace the tank with a good used one; or boil out the tank and enlarge the sending unit hole.

If you remove the ring around the sending unit opening, your will have a fuel leak around the sending unit when the tank is full.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-10-2019 @ 8:46 AM
  TomO is correct. If you have a new aftermarket tank the hole for the original sending unit is too small. They are usually too small by approximately 1/8". You can use a die grinder to enlarge the hole, but you will spend time cleaning out the tank. The enlarging process may also run the risk of having the reinforcement plate coming loose and will have to be reattached. The reinforcing plate is definitely needed for the sending unit.

sarahcecelia    -- 03-10-2019 @ 10:05 AM
  Thanks Tom, I kind of thought that it was an aftermarket tank, but wasn't sure. I guess I'll try to live with it, and when I can't anymore, I'll take the tank out and remedy it.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-10-2019 @ 10:10 AM
  Yeah, stupid me! I now realize like Kubes said, the sender couldn't mount to just sheet metal, unless ford mounted nuts on the underside of the hole and that's the reason for that ring of steel.It's to mount the sender and re-enforce the mount! DUH!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12736