Topic: Heater fan control switch

Snappy    -- 03-06-2019 @ 6:21 PM
  I have a '48 Business Coupe that I'm building. It came with a heater that turns clockwise for defrost and CC for heat. The heater is stamped Eaton on the mounting. I have found a reversible motor that will fit (original one was missing). I am in search of the fan control switch and wiring diagram to wire the switch. Can anyone out there help? Thanks

Drbrown    -- 03-06-2019 @ 9:05 PM
  Here's the wiring diagram for '46 -'49.

To find a switch, you'll need to look thru the Classified here, the Swap Meet at the Ford Barn, the HAMB forum sales, and Ebay in their Ford Flathead section. I recommend a used or NOS switch rather than a repro (if there are any around).

Do not run power to it from your ignition switch. Use a fused power source from battery.

PS: My late '47 has tan knob with red lettering/markings. I believe a '46 would have black lettering.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 3-8-19 @ 8:42 AM

Darrell S Johnson    -- 03-07-2019 @ 7:12 AM
  There are a couple of switches on ebay, a little pricey.

ken ct.    -- 03-07-2019 @ 8:28 AM
  Their pricey because their hard to find and are usually missing the chrome bezel that goes ofer the outer nut. Also they must have 4 connections on back side NOT 2 as on most of them you find. ken ct

Snappy    -- 03-07-2019 @ 9:02 AM
  Thanks to all that responded.

kubes40    -- 03-07-2019 @ 11:03 AM
  These show up on eBay very often. The 42 - 48 switches are in fact fairly common. The guy asking $125 is dreaming. Keep an eye out for a NOS switch.. the real money is around $65 or so.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

GK1918    -- 03-10-2019 @ 7:30 AM
  My 46 has red letters on the knob. For the life of me I can't get the
idea of turning my knob clockwise for defrost. Yes I know what it suppose to do but then my feet get starved of heat. So I run on heat and just
crack the defrost cable. Yes the air maybe a little cool, but I grew up
with no defrosters were not invented yet. Those in the 1930s many had
Arvin heaters my 36 was gas Southwind. So you have a fan on the dash
remember rubber blade fans or vacuum fans it did blow cooler air but it
is blowing ambient air too. Another haunt is why a low that runs through
the switch resistor? maybe for Florida but here, high is wimpy and low is out of the question. Still in my mind, my son bought a good shape 1941 Chevrolet for resale, it had under seat heater and that ruled. Gotta find one. Oh well 3 more months till spring which is June.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12733