Topic: Cooling system cleanout

sarahcecelia    -- 03-04-2019 @ 8:48 AM
  What is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to clean the cooling system of all the contamination in it???

Regards, Steve Lee

MG    -- 03-04-2019 @ 9:56 AM
  How labor intensive do you want the job to be?....

len47merc    -- 03-04-2019 @ 12:21 PM
  Steve - you specified 'absolute best'. With that definition in mind, remove the engine and completely disassemble all components. Take it to a professional expert in the process and have it completely flushed.

I've seen engines that owners went to extraordinary means to clean themselves and when finally removing the engines for rebuilds pounds upon pounds of material including (original) mold sand continued to come out of the block.

Steve

pauls39coupe    -- 03-04-2019 @ 2:15 PM
  Remove all the components including the bearings (cam bearing too), then spend a 1/2 hour or so at a car wash with several cans of degreaser.
Next take the block and heads to a professional chemical stripper have them completely immersed in solvents to remove all the paint and rust.
Spend another 1/2 hour at the car wash or with your own pressure washer going through every opening with high pressure water.
Now take the iron to your local machine shop and have them tank the parts, shot blast, bake or whatever they do to remove crud.
Spend more time with the pressure washer and a brush or coat hanger till the water runs clear. Air dry and spend some time with an air nozzle getting at every passage you can find.
After doing all that you will have MOST of the crud, old casting sand, mouse nests, screws, springs, and rust out of the block. Sorry there is no easy answer. NOTHING GETS IT ALL CLEAN!

sarahcecelia    -- 03-06-2019 @ 2:41 PM
  I want to Flush the cooling system and am looking for what process would give "ME" the best results in a "do it yourself." This motor was rebuilt about one year ago, so I'm not going to do the take it out and tear it down routine The coolant looks like muddy water and I want the to Flush it, and put new 50/50 anti freeze in. Reports are high for draining, flushing out with water, adding "Thermocure" and water, driving it for a few days, flushing again with water, and then adding the 50/50 antifreeze and Peak anti freeze sealer and protector. comments???

'

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-06-2019 @ 2:42 PM
  Sorry, I meant best flush out of the cooling system only.

Regards, Steve Lee

pinnsky    -- 03-06-2019 @ 3:07 PM
  I flushed the system with water until it ran clear, drained it and filled with 3 gallons of vinegar. Ran it until hot, let it cool down. Drained and flushed it, a beautiful brown color, until it ran clear. Then filled it with 3 gallons of EvapoRust. Ran it until hot then let it cool down and sat overnight. When I drained it, it was clear. Flushed and then filled with 50/50 premixed antifreeze. No rust showing in the system since 2016.

Marlar    -- 09-19-2022 @ 2:18 PM
  There are nozzles on the hose that covers the desired object with thin streams of water. If you don't want to just pour water up to the case but use low-pressure washing, the water is more likely to clean hard-to-reach dirt. At least it works great on large items. I'm sure it'll work well on small things as well. I've seen many times how the sparklewash.com team uses a hose with different nozzles to deal with all kinds of dirt, from stains on the car to cleaning concrete walls. I think it's a universal washing method.

This message was edited by Marlar on 9-20-22 @ 11:44 PM

Jacques1960    -- 09-19-2022 @ 3:18 PM
  Are you having overheating issues ?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12728