Topic: Mechanical Brakes

Dream38v8    -- 02-27-2019 @ 3:31 PM
  My 1938 mechanical brakes have been adjusted. Thanks to everyone who offered comments and advise on mechanical brakes. The right front was tight and the other three were very loose. We've also determined the car needs new woven brake shoes and the brake adjusting wedge. What is the best source to acquire what the car needs?

Ray

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-27-2019 @ 5:57 PM
  Hi Ray,
I recently purchased my 37 brake parts from Joe's Antiques. His team is fantastic, as well as his prices. To install the woven shoe linings. I also purchased a special rivet tool from him. It was instrumental in removing and re-installing the linings .
gregg

supereal    -- 02-28-2019 @ 12:18 PM
  C&G is our supplier. They have quality parts, and will be honest about whether they are in stock, ready for shipment. That is a whole lot more than many suppliers, in our experience of many years.

Dream38v8    -- 02-28-2019 @ 1:20 PM
  Thanks superreal. By the time I read your reply I had ordered everything I needed from Joe's Antique's recommended by Gregg (1937sedandelivery) except the rivet tool. Joe recommended I call Joe (owner) at Tam's Model A. Joe (Tam's) had the rivet tool. Everything from both Joes shipped today.

Ray

Ray

GK1918    -- 03-05-2019 @ 5:57 AM
  Joe's rules ; each time we go there is like going to Napa, counter full of
customers.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-05-2019 @ 8:31 AM
  If at all possible I would also try to use NOS parts, if available. I just rebuilt a Model A mechanical brake system from "soup to nuts". Every part was replaced. What I found was that many reproduction parts have something minor wrong with them. Nothing major but some required attention to fit properly. For example I used NOS brake rod clevis ends, but the reproduction clevis pins were too thick to fit. As I stated, minor but a pain.

supereal    -- 03-05-2019 @ 9:30 AM
  When offshore producers are engaged to make parts, they are presented with drawing of that piece. Usually they have no concept of what the end purpose of the part. The result is often that the part is almost correct, but requires some modification to fit. As the supply of NOS parts is used up, and the prices increase, the alternative type may be the only source. As the collector car market continues to shrink, we may be grateful for any parts from any where.

42oink    -- 03-05-2019 @ 10:09 AM
  Hi, This may sound a bit obvious, but why not just list what you need in your forum question or the want ads of this site? I watch this as do others and if someone needs a particular part, I have just sent it to them from my supply of old stuff. I have sold parts, too, that folks were looking for. Just food for thought. Good luck. 42oink

Dream38v8    -- 03-26-2019 @ 5:06 AM
  Just wanted to thank everyone on the Forum for their advice and assistance. Had to replace the woven brake shoe linings, kingpins and front wheel bearings. Also found a missing seal on one of the rear wheels. The easiest thing was adjusting the new brakes. Yes, the '38 has mechanical, but they are not the wire type. This car must have built in the late run of '38s. Each wheel has a nut to adjust. Very simple. Sort of reminds me of adjusting brakes when I worked in a Gulf service station in the early '60s. Also every part needed was purchased from Joe's Antique Auto Parts.

Again, thanks to everyone on the Forum (especially Gregg, Bob and Alan). What a great asset you all are to us.

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12711