Topic: How Many Left???

BigBlockFord    -- 05-19-2010 @ 7:06 AM
  Does the club have numbers on how many models are owned specifically, 1933 Deluxe Fordor Sedan, and 1934 Deluxe Fordor Sedan?

I would like to know how many there are that haven't been cannibalized or wrecked over the years.

supereal    -- 05-19-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  The Club roster shows the cars owned by the members. I've never seen them tabulated, but you could comb the roster to pick out the years and models of interest. The "rule of thumb" for survival often used is that between 5 and 10 percent of existing cars are lost each year. It is a "guesstimate", of course, but given the number of original cars that are street-rodded today, it does seem reasonable. I don't attend many shows anymore, but those I do see now have almost zero restored cars. If it were not for our Club, it would be hard to find the array as shown at region meets.

supereal    -- 05-19-2010 @ 3:26 PM
  I looked up production figures for those cars. There were 45,443 V8 Deluxe Fordors made in 1933, and 102,268 in 1934. Those were lean years for Ford (and the rest of the country), but a comparatively strong production of that model, nevertheless. If you do comb the roster to see how many are in member's hands, I hope you will post the results so we can see what percentage survive in near original form.

34billct    -- 05-19-2010 @ 7:48 PM
  I couted 125 34 fordors in US in the 2009 roster

ford38v8    -- 05-19-2010 @ 11:54 PM
  Well, going by Bob's average loss per year, there are about 1000 '34 Fordor DeLuxe Fords in the US today. That means there are still a whole lot of barn finds and/or potential EFV8CA members still out there!

Alan

supereal    -- 05-20-2010 @ 8:39 AM
  We could only hope that is true, Alan. I suspect that the number of original cars is somewhat higher than that, as not all owners are Club members, although they should be. 102,268 is certainly a small number to begin with, and after 76 years, it is not unreasonable to suspect that there are only a few hundred remaining, as coupes and roadsters wer usually more desirable than the fordor sedans during most of those years, so not as many were cherished. Many of us consider the 33-34 styling to be a high point for Ford, regardless of model.

trjford8    -- 05-20-2010 @ 7:19 PM
  There are many non-club members out there that own flatheads. In talking to people at swap meets, car runs, etc. I get the following response when asked if they are V-8 Club members; "I don't join clubs". I have heard this many times even after I explain that they don't have to go to meetings, etc. and show them the magazine. Hard to figure human nature.
Anyway the number of 34 fordors in the V-8 Club is probably small compared to the number that is actually out there. You have to consider that many have been modified with late running gear,etc. Most of these owners would not join the V-8 Club. I suspect Bob's number of a thousand or so is probaly close to the correctr number. It's still a small amount compared to the original production.

supereal    -- 05-21-2010 @ 7:15 AM
  I've run into the "I don't join clubs" people, too, but point out that attending RGs is not required. The Club is a fine place to obtain info on parts and service resources. For my money, the V8 TIMES, alone, is worth the dues. I'm not a "joiner" either, and my RG group didn't enhance the experience much, but if you love old Fords, it is tough to see why anyone wouldn't join.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1270