Topic: starter reassembly

fenbach    -- 01-28-2019 @ 7:45 PM
  anyone know a clever way to hold the starter motor brushes out of the way when putting the armature back in. I ran out of hands. and my wife wasn't about to get hers dirty!

I took it apart to clean the armature and oil the bushings because it didn't turn freely and wouldn't run using 6 volts. but curiously it does run fine with 12 volts. both field coils are good.

thanks

carcrazy    -- 01-28-2019 @ 10:05 PM
  Pull the brushes away from their operating locations and place the springs to the sides of the brushes until you get the armature/commutator installed. Then push the brushes into contact with the commutator and move the springs to the ends of the brushes.

TomO    -- 01-29-2019 @ 7:59 AM
  Are you sure that your starter is a 6 volt starter? Look over the case carefully to see if there is a 12 stamped into the case.
The field coils may have been changed without marking the case.

If you are certain that the starter is a 6 volt starter, the following conditions would make it fail with 6 volts and work with 12 volts:
excessive resistance in the starter circuit voltage feed
engine too tight
starter bushings worn
poor ground of starter
bad armature
partially shorted field coils

If you have a known good starter, I would swap it into the engine and try it. If you do not have a known good starter, take your starter to a generator, alternator and starter repair facility to have it tested.

Once you know that you have a good starter, and still have the problem, do a voltage drop test to check for excessive resistance between the battery and the starter. Next do a voltage drop test on the ground circuit.

Tom

fenbach    -- 04-16-2019 @ 5:08 PM
  nice try Tom [and thanks] but the starter was in the car [with a 6-volt system] until I threw a rod. and worked fine. seems I had several issues. among other things, I was using modern jumper cables which apparently won't conduct the necessary amperage. but the main issue was that the armature rubbed on the cores of the coils. why all of a sudden, i don't know. I tried grinding the cores down a bit, but ended up having to shim the back end plate - the one against the pan. that took care of it. I can only wonder why the end plate didn't fit snuggly into the case.

PS thanks, too, carcrazy. I was hesitant to pull the brush springs back far enough to take the brushes out. but took your advice and had no trouble.

This message was edited by fenbach on 4-16-19 @ 5:11 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12650