Topic: 39 coupe package tray/trunk strainer

parrish    -- 05-18-2010 @ 7:24 AM
  Anyone have a photo or two of how the seat backrest and package tray fit? My 39 is missing the center trunk strainer and package tray and whatever wood supports were behind the seat backrest...why anyone would remove them is a mystery! Thanks!

trjford8    -- 05-18-2010 @ 8:48 AM
  I don't have photos, but the tray sits into a metal bracket that goes from side to side and is about 8-12 inches below the quarter and rear windows. There is one wood support at the front of the shelf that is attached with "L" brackets that secure it to the bottom of the shelf and the drive shaft tunnel. I believe that they used 1/2 inch plywood form the shelf and a piece of 2"X2" hardwood for the center brace. Make yourself a cardboard pattern for the shelf

parrish    -- 05-19-2010 @ 8:08 AM
  Thanks. I still have the package tray metal lip that runs under the rear window, but nothing else. When you sit in the car, the backrest has no support and offers none! It seems if I attach a wood support behind the top of the backrest, then the seat slider wouldn't work??? Photo attached and any input would be greatly appreciated.

c-gor    -- 05-19-2010 @ 5:34 PM
  There is a piece ow 1/2 wood mounted perpendicular on the front edge of the package panel. It is about 3" high. The back of the seat rests against it and is supported by it

trjford8    -- 05-19-2010 @ 7:23 PM
  parrish, if you have the correct seat the backrest is not attached to the shelf. There is a "dust cover"(cloth) that goes between the seat and the shelf to stop anything from falling between the seat and the shelf. As C.Gor states there is a 2"x2" board that goes from the center of the shelf to the drive shaft tunnel to support the shelf. In addition, on the front part of the shelf there is a 3/4" X 4" piece of wood that is the length of the shelf and is fastened at a right angle to the front of the shelf.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-19-10 @ 7:29 PM

parrish    -- 05-24-2010 @ 9:13 AM
  thanks guys. If the seatback is supported by the 3 inch tall wood running across the back and attached to the package tray , what happens when the seat cushion slides in either direction??? Seatback just angles a little either way???

TomO    -- 05-25-2010 @ 7:30 AM
  Parrish, If the seat is the one piece back rest, the seat back rest is attached to a wooden frame with top mounted hinges to allow the back rest to be raised to gain access to the storage area. The wooden frame is attached to the seat bottom, so that it can move with the adjustment. There is a cloth strip (same material as the sidewall cloth) to fill the gap between the wooden frame and the package shelf.

If your seat back flexes too much, there may be broken parts in the wooden frame.

Tom

parrish    -- 05-25-2010 @ 7:47 PM
  TomO: I'm almost done painting and then I'll pull the masking out and take a good look. What you've described makes sense. Car has been sitting idle 50 years, so there are more than a couple mysteries! Thanks!

39 Ken    -- 05-26-2010 @ 4:44 AM
  Parrish, Do you still need pictures? Ken

39 Ken    -- 05-26-2010 @ 6:12 AM
  Here's one that may help, I have others if you need. Ken

39 Ken    -- 05-26-2010 @ 6:14 AM
  Here's another.

parrish    -- 05-26-2010 @ 8:51 PM
  thanks 39 Ken! I can't tell you how much those help! The second photo also shows what I think is called the
trunk strainer (spare tire rack) and my 39 is missing that as well. Who knows why anyone would have removed these things, but your photos really help. Do you know what kind of wood was used? Ash maybe???

39 Ken    -- 05-28-2010 @ 10:28 AM
  I don't know what wood was used. It is a harder than pine so I guess it could be ash. I could be Maple remenants left over from Station Wagon manufacturing. Or, Ford could have used whatever was available for the least cost, keeping with his way. Ray Nasciwitz(sorry Ray if I spelled it wrong) may have a handle on the type of wood used. Ken

jerry.grayson    -- 05-30-2010 @ 5:48 PM
  Hard rock maple.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1263