Topic: 36 road noise

j.grif    -- 05-17-2010 @ 9:48 PM
  the sedan has a little hum/whine from either the rear end or transmisson. More noticeable when speeding up a little. But quiter when letting up on the gas and very quite with clutch in and coasting at good speeds. What does that tell me? Normal for a 73 year old car? Back in 1950 my 36 was quite or maybe I didn't pay any attention to mechanics back then.

supereal    -- 05-18-2010 @ 7:16 AM
  Could be either transmission or rear end noise, but more often the latter, as in high gear, the power is straight thru the transmission. Most often, it is the result of excessive slack between the pinion and ring gear, particularly if it abates when coasting. Before changing the gasket shims in the rear end, try 140 weight oil to see if it changes the noise. I'm a couple of years older than your car, and I understand excessive wear in my "gears"!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-18-2010 @ 5:18 PM
  like super said, change the oil in the rear ,
and use a clean drain pan ,and run a magnet though it to see if any metal particiles are in the old oil,
[this will determine what is the problem ] and while you are at, do the same with the trans oil,
also spin the front wheels to see if the wheel bearing are quiet, remember noise travels,
just make sure what is the problem before you start tearing things apart,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAAGTOPMAN

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-18-2010 @ 5:19 PM
  like super said, change the oil in the rear ,
and use a clean drain pan ,and run a magnet though it to see if any metal particiles are in the old oil,
[this will determine what is the problem ] and while you are at, do the same with the trans oil,
also spin the front wheels to see if the wheel bearing are quiet, remember noise travels,
just make sure what is the problem before you start tearing things apart,
also check the generator bearing also,
take the belt off and spin the fan,to see if that is quiet,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAAGTOPMAN

j.grif    -- 05-18-2010 @ 7:00 PM
  Thanks much for good info and suggestions. A year or so ago we put in a 3.54 rear end and guess that I did not get the shims just right. Have heard that excess clearance is better than too little? But was thinking that maybe I could loosen the banjo? bolts just enough to remove a single shim to reduce the clearance. Or at summers end redo the whole thing. Already using 140 wt and will check for other possible noise sources as suggested. Thanks

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-19-2010 @ 6:25 AM
  I think you have a noise on the engine,
you said when depressing the clutch, it gets quieter it must be something to do with the engine,
start there first,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 05-19-2010 @ 7:36 AM
  Almost always, the last thing you did is the source of the latest problem. As you swapped rear end gears, it is likely the place to look. Depending on how it was set up. usually removing a shim gasket from one side requires replacing a similar one on the other side. It is possible that no adjustment will affect the noise if the gear set is one of the foreign type. It is vital that all gear sets be carefully matched. The originals were "run in" on a machine, then carefully marked to show they were matched. We have seen noisy rears that were properly set up for tooth pattern, etc, that were still noisy because of the mismatch. I'd keep running the current set to see if it quiets down after some use. If it gets more noisy, it will be necessary to pull the rear end and repeat the set up as you check the tooth pattern.

supereal    -- 05-23-2010 @ 11:39 AM
  Rear end noise usually gets quiet when the clutch is pushed, or the transmission is in neutral because it relieves pressure on the ring and pinion. If it is engine connected. the noise should appear with the vehicle sitting when the engine is revved. Differential noise is somewhat common in old Fords, as the setting of the preload on the main bearings, and the mesh between the ring and pinion is dependent upon the thickness of the gaskets. That is why taking any out, if the preload was correct, can present new problems if a corresponding thickness isn't replaced on the opposite side. Setting up an old Ford rear end is a time consuming affair, and setting the preload with the pinion in place usually isn't possible. As said earlier, I'd bet that the foreign gear set will never be quiet, regardless of the efforts to readjust the setting. Most I've seen are not the quality of the originals in fit or finish, and will always be noisy.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1262