Topic: Electrical Problem Fixed - Thanks!

Jim    -- 05-17-2010 @ 6:58 PM
  I posted my problem, got some suggestions, and the problem seems to be fixed. My 59AB engine would not run properly, but seemed to idle better when I held the plug wire about an inch from the plug. Tried replacing the coil with one I knew was good, replaced the condensor (no help) and was getting pretty exasperated with the whole thing. Thanks to TomO, Don and Supereal for their advice. Cleaned the plugs, no help, so as a 'last resort' I decided to replace the Mallory Distributor (has only 3,000 miles on it) with a stock distributor (Supereals's suggestion). Could not believe the Mallory could be the source of the problem as it was quite new. But when desperate, try anything! Installed the stock distributor and car runs perfectly.
Will have to do some testing on the Mallory distributor to see what the problem could be, but this confirms my belief that original parts tend to be much better than some of the replacement parts that don't last or perform very well. One last note, Napa coil IC14 is essentially the same coil as IC12, except that it has the resistor built into the coil.

Thanks to those who responded with their good help. Love this forum, and have learned alot reviewing other peoples question as issues. Thanks to those more experienced V8'ers who offer their help. Jim

keith oh    -- 05-17-2010 @ 8:05 PM
  If the problum returns, check to see if you have radio resistor plug wires. Old ones can cause all kinds of wierd problems.

39 Ken    -- 05-18-2010 @ 5:01 AM
  The decline in the Mallory distributors over the last few years has been well documented on this and other forums. Most speculate that the culprit is the origin of the company products (foreign made). Others have had good luck. Go figure. I guess it is a cr*p shoot as to whether or not you'll get a good unit from Mallory. Ken

supereal    -- 05-18-2010 @ 7:09 AM
  I don't like to "knock" any manufacturer, but for some reason the Mallory distributor seems to produce problems in old Fords. We know them to be a quality firm, but their flathead unit seems to have flaws. It is rather ironic, as the stock early Ford distributor tends to be "bulletproof" when in good condition and properly set up. It may be that the poorly regulated electrical system in old cars contributes to the situation, and/or that electronic ignition is often temperature sensitive. Lightly used collector cars should run well almost indefinitely if quality parts and skilled installation are applied.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1261