Topic: Repair/Restoration literature

Leadfoot    -- 01-05-2019 @ 7:01 AM
  Hello everyone,

I'm getting information together to begin my first restoration of a stock 1934 Victoria.

I've purchased "The 1933-34 Ford Book Restoration Manual" and the "Ford Service Bulletins 1932-1937". What other literature have you found helpful in restoration/repair? I'm a long time "Shade Tree" mechanic (so I know the basics), but I want to learn what I can on this particular vehicle?

This message was edited by Leadfoot on 1-5-19 @ 7:06 AM

TonyM    -- 01-05-2019 @ 7:27 AM
  The 1928-1948 Ford Chassis Accessories Catalogue might come in handy some time down the road.

78-730B

Leadfoot    -- 01-05-2019 @ 8:38 AM
  Thank you TonyM.

That "1928-1948 Ford Chassis Accessories Catalogue"...….. is it the so called "Green Bible"?

I should point out I've also picked up the "1932-36 Engine and Chassis Repair Manual" (has a green cover, with a large V8 0n it), plus the "1934 Instruction Book/Owners Manual". So, I've got a start on my self taught "learning curve".

3w2    -- 01-05-2019 @ 11:24 AM
  Leadfoot,

You use the term 'restoration' and perhaps you could be more specific as to your objective as that term can have a different meaning to different people.

For example, if you mean 'as built' or 'as new', you could be misled by the so-called "Green Bible" as it only contains service parts that were still available in 1948, fourteen years after your Victoria was produced and many of those parts, while fine as service replacements, may not be the same as those used in production.

There were reproductions of the 1934 chassis parts catalogue and if not still available as new, good used copies show up regularly on ebay and Amazon. The same goes for the 1934 edition of the body parts catalogue. Both are inexpensive and far more relevant to your project. Originals, which are much larger than the reproductions, often show up at reasonable prices on those sites as well. Another valuable resource is the 1934 edition of the hardware and trimming supplies catalogue. Full size reproductions of it are also available.

Leadfoot    -- 01-06-2019 @ 10:29 AM
  My intention is to "restore" the vehicle to as much as possible original condition. I'm in the process of removing fenders, interior etc. From what I see, it's going to need a complete overhaul......wiring; steering sector rebuild; wheel spindle rebuild (the car has a definite "mind of it's own" when traveling over 20mph); fuel tank removal....hydrostatic gauge/sending unit repair (page 7-54 of "The 1933-34 Ford Book" states about the Victoria...."The gas tank could not be removed from this model without unbolting the body from the frame").

Well that's just fine, so where do I go to get information on how to do this? If I'm going to raise the body up to get the fuel tank out, might as well take it off completely (going to need to replace part of the floor panel anyway)....where's written documentation on THAT kind of process? Surely in 85 years, there's proper information on this?

3w2, your direction of looking for specific original 1934 documentation is a good one. I've already notice that "generic" part's breakdown images are vague in providing specific detail for what I'm encountering. I've looked through the "Chassis Parts List 1928-1937" and feel it may have been a waste of money due to the vague images and overwhelming part number descriptions, covering 10 years of production.

3w2    -- 01-06-2019 @ 1:08 PM
  The '34 body parts catalog only covers '33-'34 body types, but the '34 chassis parts catalogue still covers back to the 1928 models as Ford did not annually issue catalogs for each model year for which they still supplied service parts. At least you'll not have the '35 - '37 listings and illustrations to contend with and nearly all of the illustrations in the '34 catalog are of '34 components.

Leadfoot    -- 01-06-2019 @ 6:02 PM
  Thank you 3w2, that's exactly the kind of information that a "newby" needs to know, and why I asked the question. It makes sense to look for the original literature that may still be found, instead of getting a reproduction that covers multiple years and only gives a broad coverage of data.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12594