Topic: Dual Exhaust for 1935 Ford Coupe

36fordor    -- 12-25-2018 @ 1:01 AM
  Would like to hear from anyone that's put duals on or had duals put on a 30s Ford flathead. Any recommendations, tips.

About ten yrs. ago had nice job done on a 48 Chevy coupe with Fenton headers & Smithy’s 26” Glass Packs. Hoping for something similar.

Can also be emailed at guynone@hotmail.com. Thanks & all the best for the Holidays.

Steve Kennedy    -- 12-25-2018 @ 12:11 PM
  I have Dual Exhaust on my '36 5 Window, coming off of Fenton Headers. Really nice bragging rights. However, just now working on installing hydraulic brakes, what a pain. Had to cut exhaust pipe on the driver's side to get the old original '36 manual pedals out and get the new '39 assy in. So then the studs broke off in the header. Tried a torch and various nut looseners. Had to drill the studs out and retap the holes.

Oh, also the exhaust pipe on the left side, the dual, runs right next to the fuel line. Installed an electric fuel pump on the rear end cross member. Still had vapor locks. Had to insulate the fuel line and the electrical wires. And will now need to insulate the new hydraulic brake line and master cylinder. Will let you know how all this turns out after the first of the year.

Overall recommendations, find something else to brag about.
Steve in Denver

3w2    -- 12-25-2018 @ 5:46 PM
  You left out having to relocate the battery.

Steve Kennedy    -- 12-25-2018 @ 6:03 PM
  Fortunately the previous owner put the battery behind the seat and added the divider panel so it cannot be seen with the rumble seat open. Gives my wife a nice place to put her purse out of site too.

kirkstad    -- 12-29-2018 @ 11:16 AM
  My 36 ford coupe had fenton headers with smithys on it when I purchased the car.I still have the mechanical brakes and the battery in stock location.I did insulate the fuel line for safety though.The manifold does run real close to the steering box and the heat does effect the fluid causing it to leak more than it should,so I keep an eye on it.If my car had single exhaust when I bought it would probably still be that way,but it sure sounds nice. Also if you are using smithys drill a small weep hole at the bottom of each muffler because moisture will collect and rot them out, as I have found out, this is now my second set.

supereal    -- 01-06-2019 @ 1:52 PM
  Most dual exhaust pipes don't just bolt-on. The problem arises on the driver's side which must be routed so it doesn't interfere with the clutch pedal. We send these jobs to a good muffler shop who has someone good that can run the pipe bender. I put dual exhaust on my '47 convertible with glass pack mufflers. The sound is mellow and terrific.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12561