Topic: Electrical Problem

Jim    -- 05-15-2010 @ 1:42 PM
  I have a 59AB engine that seems to have an electrical problem I cannot figure out. When starting this spring, it runs, but not very well. When I put it away last fall, it ran super. I tried to check the quality of the spark by holding the spark plug wire about an inch from the plug. The spark on all eight cylinders is nice and blue. Interestingly the car runs (idles) BETTER when I hold the wire off the plug! The spark is still jumping to the plug, and the distance between the plug and wire is about 1 inch. When I reattach the spark plug wire, it runs poorly again. Trying to drive this way could be very difficult I am using a Mallory distributor, 12 volt system, with a NAPA coil (IC14) and condensor (RR174). I have replaced condensor, coil with no effect on performance. The plugs and plug wire are only a year old, so should be OK. I have fresh gas with Marvel Mystery Oil. The engine seems to intermittently run well for a couple of seconds, then goes back to running poorly. Any ideas or suggestions?

TomO    -- 05-15-2010 @ 4:53 PM
  Try shorting out each plug wire to ground, so that the cylinder will not fire. Each one should make the engine slow down the same amount.

Tom

don1950ford    -- 05-15-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  i believe the way i would start is by replacing a few parts. i would use a NAPA IC-12 coil, ICR-13 ignition resistor for the coil and a condensor for a 55 thru 74 chevy ( i do not have the NAPA # for that)
those 3 items will match coil, resistor and condensor and should help. looking in a NAPA parts book do not seem to be matched. i have done several conversions (1940 & 41 trucks and 1950 cars) and those are the parts i have used and they work well together.. don

supereal    -- 05-16-2010 @ 9:43 AM
  At our shop, we haven't had much luck with Mallory distributors. If you have access to one, I'd try using it as a replacement to see if it cures the problem. We hear a lot about using Marvel Mystery Oil, but if it is overused, it will cause plug fouling and poor operation. Check your plugs for an oily residue. MMO is OK for the occasional sticking valve, but I wouldn't advise using it in every tank of gas.

TomO    -- 05-16-2010 @ 5:44 PM
  I strongly disagree with Don. New parts just add new unknowns to a problem and can be a waste of money. Find out what is wrong and only replace the defective parts.

Supereal had a good suggestion about checking your plugs.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1252