Topic: 47 clutch problems

woodie    -- 05-15-2010 @ 12:46 PM
  clutch chatter a problem we all have. I have replaced thepressure plate and disc. Turned the flywheel.replaced pilot and throwout bearings. I turned the problem over to a pro. He is puzzled.? could a header which is tight against the frame be the cause? Motor mounts are only 4 years old and tight. I have had this problem for 15 years and replaced the clutch 4 times in that time. Disc and flywheel show no burned areas. Shafts are straight and true. Help

Norm    -- 05-15-2010 @ 1:18 PM
  When I first saw this post I thought "Ahhh - he needs to check his anti-chatter rods." Then I looked in the Green Book and can't find a listing for anti-chatter rods (Rod (engine radius)) (XX-6044) listed for '42 to '48. I thought all 32-48 torque tube (enclosed) drives had them. Did Henry have a better idea?

Norm

supereal    -- 05-16-2010 @ 9:49 AM
  The reason you can't find anti-chatter rods in the book i that Ford discontinued them when it was found that they didn't help much, if at all. The chatter is due, mostly, to the configuration of the drive line. The rear axle pushes on the torque tube which, in turn, moves the engine/transmission on the mounts. This also affects the clutch linkage, amplifying the problem. When, in 1949, Ford went to the Hotchkiss system, the chatter that plagued Ford for decades went away. I am attaching info on a brace that has been used to reduce the problem by transferring the "push" to a cross member.

silverchief    -- 05-16-2010 @ 1:48 PM
  Thanks Supereal,

I don't have chatter but printed out a copy just in case.

TomO    -- 05-16-2010 @ 5:12 PM
  Check your rear transmission mount for firm rubber and make sure that you have good front motor mounts. Some of the vendors sell soft rubber front mounts and they will cause the chatter. C&G sells the better mounts.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1251