Topic: Temperature question

46coupe    -- 11-20-2018 @ 2:28 PM
  My gauge use to show cold when the engine was off, switch on. Now when the switch is on the gauge goes to hot, down to cold when engine starts, and after the engine heats up the gauge is just above the cold mark.
I have not checked for thermostats yet. Last summer the gauge read between the cold mark and half way to vertical when the temp was 85-90 degrees. Vets day the outside temp was 25 degrees and the gauge did finally get off the cold mark. So far I've checked the wiring at the gauge which looks all right. I've been going through some old articles on testing the sensors, which I have not finished. Is what I described normal when there is no thermostat? or should I continue troubleshooting the sensors? Thanks for your input.

51woodie    -- 11-20-2018 @ 8:58 PM
  When I first got my '46 Super Deluxe the temp gauge was always showing hot, ignition on or off. Ford set this temp system up to failsafe to hot if there was any problem in the circuit. Some trouble shooting identified two things. The short wire from the main harness to the left side sensor was "open", as the wire was broken inside the insulation and not noticeable without testing with an ohmmeter. Fixed that, still hot. The second problem was the left side temp sensor (double terminal) was open as well. Bypassed direct to the right side single terminal temp sensor and gauge worked, showing cold until the engine warms up. The previous owner had installed a mechanical temp gauge in the left head, so I have two temp readings available. Driving in 75 deg. weather at 55/60 mph, the temp hardly moves either gauge. In town driving, stop and go, it sometimes hits +/- 170 deg. I have 160 deg. thermostats installed at the heads. Also, do a search for "temp sensors" or some variation of that and you should find more info. Hope this is of some help

TomO    -- 11-21-2018 @ 7:19 AM
  The first thing that I would do is check the temperature of the coolant with a candy thermometer.

Like 51woodie said, with the ignition off your gauge should read hot, when you switch on the ignition it should read the temperature of the coolant.

The gauge should read about half way when the coolant is 140 degrees and about 3/4 at 180 degrees. These readings are the ones that I get in my car.

Tom

46coupe    -- 11-21-2018 @ 5:31 PM
  Thanks for the input. Apparently the gauge was not reading correctly prior to this. It always showed cold when the switch was off and moved up as the car warmed up. It just started reading hot with the switch off and then down to cold when the switch was turned on. Maybe whatever was wrong corrected itself. I'll be sure to check the temp with the thermometer also to get the correct temp and work from there. Thanks again. By the way, I ran a jumper between the two sensors to check that wire. It didn't change anything.

46coupe    -- 11-21-2018 @ 5:31 PM
  T

This message was edited by 46coupe on 11-21-18 @ 5:32 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12496