Topic: 1934 spark plugs

Joeellsasser    -- 11-19-2018 @ 3:07 PM
  I have a Feb 1934 build roadster, what are the correct plugs for this model and production time?

ken ct.    -- 11-19-2018 @ 4:47 PM
  Not a high priced correct plug BUT try a set of Champion "D-21" for roughly $ 3.00 each Work super for past 20 yrs in a 36 I have . Its a nice hot plug. ken ct.

3w2    -- 11-20-2018 @ 5:32 PM
  If I interpret your question correctly, you wish to know about the original spark plugs, not some currently-available substitutes.

The brass-top Champion number '7' spark plug was released for use on passenger car and commercial vehicle V8 engines in late February, 1934, replacing the brass-top Champion number 'C-7' used previously in those applications.

Your reference to a February build presumably refers to the month in which your engine/transmission assembly was manufactured as there is no surviving record of vehicle build dates in Ford's archives. Depending on the location of the assembly plant where your car was built relative to the Dearborn engine plant and the inventory of engine/transmissions assemblies on hand at that plant, the date of the installation of your car's original engine/transmission into a chassis and the engine number stamped on the chassis frame rail could easily range from three to six weeks after the build date of the engine/transmission assembly.

Given the above, it is highly likely that your car was originally equipped with Champion 7 plugs, especially given that the engines were shipped to the assembly plants without the spark plugs installed given the fragile nature of the porcelain insulators.

Joeellsasser    -- 11-29-2018 @ 4:52 PM
  Thanks, that's the information I was looking for. My thought was the engine and trans was in the first 20 percent built and that would be considered an early build although assembled in March/April, and require the c-7. Thanks the the clarification, that in fact the correct plugs are champion 7.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12494