Topic: upholsterykits

jerry james    -- 11-13-2018 @ 12:38 PM
  I was reading the topic on kits offered by La Barron Bonney and want tp add my two cents worth. In August of this year I ordered panels for the rumble seat area for my 34 Cabrolet as well as some other items. They charged my credit card right away but never shipped the items. I called them after the stated wait time had expired and talked to a lady who said she would check on order and get back to me. Never called. I called again a week later and finally got another woman who promised the same but never called me back. When you call the male voice directs you to leave your number and they will return call. Ten tries later they have never called back. Lately I have contacted VISA to dispute charge.
Jerry James

kubes40    -- 11-13-2018 @ 3:29 PM
  Jerry,
I sympathize with you in regard to your dismal experience.

I have had quite the opposite experience with LB as of late. I truly believe they are doing their absolute best to remedy all "issues". It will most likely take time but again, they are truly trying their best.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

3w2    -- 11-13-2018 @ 4:29 PM
  I concur with Mike's comments and urge that you try again as the two women that you likely encountered are no longer there making promises that aren't kept. The new owner is sincerely trying to right the ship that for a while was adrift.

roadster36    -- 11-15-2018 @ 6:03 PM
  I know what you are going through.
I ordered the upholstery kit for my '34 Victoria and received it 7 months later.
I am still waiting for the front seat covers and carpeting.
Later I ordered a complete interior kit for my project for this winter, a '34 2-dr sedan.
I ordered it 2 months before I even took delivery of the project. It has been 5 1/2 months now.
No word from them on a delivery date, no e-mail responses, and no phone messages returned.
I am not sure what to make of the whole thing.
Today I received an e-mail saying they are having a sale.
3 others in the area are also waiting for their items ( over 3 months)

alanwoodieman    -- 11-15-2018 @ 7:33 PM
  it has been said that LB was sold and moved to maine, I do not know for sure but they took over 7 months to deliver my kit and I had to get the credit card company involved and the attitude when I was finally able to get thru to them was unbelievable. I have purchased and installed a lot of their kits but I don't think I want to do so again.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-15-2018 @ 7:34 PM
  it has been said that LB was sold and moved to maine, I do not know for sure but they took over 7 months to deliver my kit and I had to get the credit card company involved and the attitude when I was finally able to get thru to them was unbelievable. I have purchased and installed a lot of their kits but I don't think I want to do so again.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-16-2018 @ 8:00 AM
  I will be purchasing a LeBaron-Bonney upholstery in the spring and have heard and read about several negative comments aimed at them. While at Hershey I sat down with both sales people and the new owner of the company. Yes, the company was sold and the new owner is aware of the comments and is trying his best to address the situation. No, they only moved one division of the company, they are in the same building. Yes, several long time people retired. I would suggest that if you aren't happy with the answers you are getting from some sales people, simply ask to speak to the new owner. Explain your situation and I'm sure he will get to the bottom of it. The antique car upholstery business is one that you can't simply put a sign up saying that you have job openings, skills are required. Finding skilled people in this type of business is very hard. How many young people do you know are learning the trade? I was asked to give a talk to the Mechanical Engineering class at a local college. I finished my talk by saying, "not every kid needs to be a doctor, lawyer or a banker", Not every kid needs to go to Yale, Harvard or Dartmouth". "We need to stop looking down at people that use their hands to make a living". After my talk the professor thanked me profusely. There is a need for skilled people in our world.

roadster36    -- 11-16-2018 @ 9:35 AM
  If LB cannot meet their currtent obligations they should not be sending out sale e-mails.
It looks to me like they are just digging the hole deeper and lookng for capital to keep the business going a little longer.
My credit card company said the transaction was too old to contest even though I never received what I ordered.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-17-2018 @ 2:16 PM
  It would go a long way if the NEW owner would correspond with the owners of the way past due deliveries of their kits--would it not? when I asked why they did not even try to explain the problems I was told they were too busy for that!!

alanwoodieman    -- 11-17-2018 @ 2:16 PM
  It would go a long way if the NEW owner would correspond with the owners of the way past due deliveries of their kits--would it not? when I asked why they did not even try to explain the problems I was told they were too busy for that!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12480