Topic: Shock absorbers

46coupe    -- 11-08-2018 @ 4:56 PM
  Hello everyone. Does anyone know of someone who rebuilds Houdaille shock absorbers? I also read of a "fix" in the 1997 May/June V8 times using automatic transmission sealer/conditioner to stop leaks. Thought I would try that first. After draining the shock fluid, what fluid should I use to refill the reservoir? The article says to use Houdaille fluid. Is that still available, or something like it?
BTW I bought the thumb drive and it is well worth the cost. Thanks to all who made it possible. The articles are very informative and well written. Maybe some of the sections like "It worked for me" could be brought back in future issues. Most all the info I get in the current mags and now the older ones is certainly helping me in all areas. .

40cpe    -- 11-08-2018 @ 6:30 PM
  Andy Falandes in MD is a respected rebuilder. He took over Bill Wzorek's business after Bill became ill.
<andys.shoxs@gmail.com>

46coupe    -- 11-09-2018 @ 8:13 AM
  Thanks for the info. Before I contact him, can you or someone else tell me if the sealer fix will work and if so, what to use?
Thanks

trjford8    -- 11-09-2018 @ 11:29 AM
  Sealer is usually just a band aid approach. Leaky seals are usually a result of being worn or hardened from age. The sealer may work for a short period of time, but in the long run you will have to have them rebuilt.

3w2    -- 11-09-2018 @ 11:37 AM
  I believe that you meant Andy's state as MA (Massachusetts) and not MD (Maryland).

40cpe    -- 11-09-2018 @ 7:38 PM
  yes, thanks.

46coupe    -- 11-09-2018 @ 7:58 PM
  I agree regarding the band aid comment , however, I was curious if anyone had used a type of stop leak in these shocks and what brand it would be. I figured I could experiment. I do plan on emailing Andy as you suggested also.
Thanks for your help and input.

trjford8    -- 11-10-2018 @ 4:50 PM
  You might try something like an automatic transmission sealer. It usually softens the rubber seals to try to stop the leaks.

46coupe    -- 11-11-2018 @ 5:35 AM
  Thanks, I'll try that and let ya'll know if it worked. Even if it does, I'll still be contacting Andy's.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12470