Topic: Door Handle Removal

51woodie    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:15 PM
  How do you remove the outside door handle on a '46 Coupe? I have the inner door panel off, but don't see any obvious bolts, screws or clips that hold it in place.

I removed the screw that lines up with the handle at rear edge of the door, but the handle did not come free. Is it the correct screw and I didn't pull hard enough to free the handle from the door?

I have two '44 and up Body Parts books that show the insides of the doors but nothing for the outside. Any suggestions?

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:47 PM
  There is probably rust on the square shaft that goes into the latch. Spray a lot of wd40 or similar solevent into the screw hole and into the latch area with the window down. Use the straw that comes with the solovent

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:48 PM
  There is probably rust on the square shaft that goes into the latch. Spray a lot of wd40 or similar solevent into the screw hole and into the latch area with the window down. Use the straw that comes with the solovent

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:48 PM

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:49 PM

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:49 PM

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:50 PM

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 6:50 PM

51woodie    -- 11-03-2018 @ 8:17 PM
  One response repeated seven times by a computer. I need some different ideas.

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 9:27 PM
  this just seems to happen sometimes. I'm not the only one that has this problem.

cliftford    -- 11-03-2018 @ 9:28 PM
  this just seems to happen sometimes. I'm not the only one that has this problem.

39 Ken    -- 11-04-2018 @ 5:52 AM
  Whenever I post a reply, I just leave the forum for another destination then come back in to the forum..
By doing that I never see a duplication. I will say, that it is a royal pain in the
a$$ to do it that way, but it works until the web administer fixes the problem.

51woodie    -- 11-04-2018 @ 6:13 AM
  Thank you gentlemen. Yes, the repeats are a nuisance. I got all excited when I saw so many responses, only to find out I still have no idea on how to remove the handle. Surely there must be someone in the Club that has take one of these handles off.

carcrazy    -- 11-04-2018 @ 6:19 AM
  Carefully pull the door weatherstrip back away from the outer door surface near where the handle is located. You will find a spring clip there, remove it and the handle will come off.

cliftford    -- 11-04-2018 @ 6:20 AM
  One end of the chrome strip on the door slides into the door handle. Could this be the problem?

trjford8    -- 11-04-2018 @ 6:48 AM
  On a '46 the handle is retained by two methods. There is a set screw in the inner door jamb that must be removed. You can find the set screw by pulling back the weather strip near the area of the handle. Once that has been removed you need to slide the stainless door trim forward to clear the front edge of the handle trim. Then you need to tip the handle downward to the 4 o'clock position and pull outward. It should come out.

kubes40    -- 11-04-2018 @ 8:51 AM
  Cliff, be patient after you'd entered a response. It may take a moment for it to register. It's obvious you are entering the same response multiple times.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 11-04-2018 @ 8:53 AM
  Trjford8 has offered the exact method to remove the handle. Yes, it's a pain - more so than perhaps it should be. Still, that is THE way it must be done.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51woodie    -- 11-10-2018 @ 12:13 PM
  Thanks to the various responses, I got the door handle off without any $%^&**## or damage to any parts. I though I should post a few pics so that anyone else doing this job would have a visual reference. May have to do multi posts as I don't think I can attach three pics at the same time.

51woodie    -- 11-10-2018 @ 12:14 PM
  Mounting screw in handle

51woodie    -- 11-10-2018 @ 12:19 PM
  End of door trim slides over door handle body. Both need to come off at the same time. Remove the screw, then starting from the front edge of the door, use plastic trim removal tools and work back, carefully pulling the trim free as you work toward the handle.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12461