Topic: Glass replacement - '38 coupe

Tim I    -- 05-14-2010 @ 10:10 AM
  I have ordered new door glass and quarter window glass from Sanders to replace the old, cracked and de-laminating glass on my ’38 Standard coupe. I’m wondering if replacing door glass and quarter window glass is a do-it-yourself job, or if it’s better left to a glass shop.

Also, who is the best source for good rubber for the quarter windows? I notice it’s offered with and without bonded ends. What exactly does that mean, and which type should I get?

Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
Denver , Colorado

supereal    -- 05-14-2010 @ 11:35 AM
  Tim: Installing new window glass can be done with patience and the right materials. Of primary importance is the packing used between the glass and the regulator bar that holds it. It is sometimes called "glass setting tape". To determine the right thickness neded, measure the width of the glass, then the width of the channel the glass fits in. Subtrat the width of the glass from the width of the channel and divide by two. It comes in rolls 1 1/2 in. wide by 20' long, in most cases. The available sizes at C&G are 1/32, 3/64, 1/16, and 5/64, all less than $10.
As for the difference between bonded and non-bonded, the bonded pieces are cut to length with the ends molded together. Non-bonded type usually comes in a roll to be cut to length. C&G stocks quarter window seals for your car as 78-704220-S, about $20 each. Their on-line catalog is at www.cgfordpart.com Look on page 297.

37 Coupe    -- 05-15-2010 @ 7:47 AM
  I will give you my take on my expierience on my 37 coupe window replacement couple years ago . I did not have to do door window glass just windshield and rear glass,quarters were okay but rubber was shot,bought all new rubber from Carpenter and none of it fit,too big on glass on quarter and rear and too much rubber to fit in holes .Sent all back and bought Bob Drakes,fit around glass like a glove as well as openings in body. Rear quarter glass is a snap,it is held by pressure of inside garnish mouldings,once you remove it you will see how is they are,Ford used some kinda sealant as you might see as a hard tar you have to clean away from body opening. Make sure when you get the Sanders glass pieces to lay them on top of original to check size,my windshield and back glass pieces were too large and I was lucky to have an old time glass guy here in Ohio brave enough to grind them down,quite a bit actually to fit. The Carpenter rubber was to big even on the glass that was to big! Other than that the script Sanders glass turned out beautifull.

supereal    -- 05-15-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  The black tar-like substance was probably a sealer, such as the 3M type most of us use. It can be tough to remove without damaging the surrounding finish. 3M does have a product for that purpose, however. Most of the rubber seals that Drake sells come from Carpenter, but it is not unusual to be sold the wrong one. We have encountered that (no pun intended) when we specified a seal, only to be told that even though there was a different number "it should fit". Be sure to reseal the rubber to the body by pulling back the edge and applying a thin amount to the gap. Unless you are better at it that I am, mask around the seal to make clean up easier.

Tim I    -- 05-17-2010 @ 5:00 AM
  Thanks to all. I'll probably have more questions once I get into it.

Tim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1245