Topic: Just Bought a '37 !

JayChicago    -- 10-28-2018 @ 11:12 AM
  Bought a '37 at the Mecum auction in Chicago. A streetrod ! But before you come down on me for that, its a tastefully done streetrod with a flathead. Is even painted a color very close to Washington Blue. Was being sold in a collection of streetrods. Most bidders were going after the ones with the small block Chevy engines, only a few of us seriously bidding on the one flathead car, and they let me take it. Could be I was the only one who actually preferred the flathead.
Here's a link if you want to see pictures:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-333514/1937-ford-sedan-street-rod/

Now to my first question on my '37 learning curve:
The hood hold-open arm is not there. My first task with the new car was to fabricate a broom stick hood prop . I searched the usual vendors for the hood support arm, appears that piece is not being reproduced. Am I correct about that? Any thoughts on where I can locate one? (already posted a wanted ad here) Here's a pic of what I need, posted in a forum discussion a few years ago by member 3W2:

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2018 @ 12:03 PM
  Jay, congratulations! That is a beauty! The hood prop you seek, while correct for the car, was removed by the previous owner for good reason. While being an ingenious design, it was not right for the application, and caused most (yes, MOST) hoods to be severely damaged upon being closed without first ratcheting the hood prop. About the picture you found, yes, that is the correct part, but it should be painted body color.

Alan

JayChicago    -- 10-28-2018 @ 5:28 PM
  Thanks for that advise, Allen. I certainly don't want to bend the hood, and can see how that could easily happen. I think I'll try to come up with a hood prop that will provide support at the front of the hood. One nice thing about this conglomerated vehicle, sure don't need to be concerned about staying correct!

CharlieStephens    -- 10-28-2018 @ 7:39 PM
  I didn't see it in his online catalog but try Bob Drake, it has been a long time but I think he used to carry them. Or just be sure you are the first one there when it is time to close the hood or use a broom stick.

Charlie Stephens

3w2    -- 10-29-2018 @ 4:07 AM
  Alan,

No way was the '37 hood prop painted body color. That makes no sense from an assembly point of view as the hood was not painted attached to the body, but rather separately, like the fenders. The car in the photo was an extremely low mileage original before its restoration (only necessitated by rust in the rumble compartment floor) with original paint and upholstery and I'm the second owner. The hood prop was cadmium plated and remains so.

ford38v8    -- 10-29-2018 @ 11:01 AM
  David, This is one of those many questions that often gets debated on the Concourse, I'm sure. I agree that it makes little sense to paint a cad plated part, and that a significant number of them did not get painted. There is documentation of the instruction, though, as reported by Gary Mallast in the '38-'39 Book: "Paint body color outside surface only". His book notes attribute this instruction to drawings of 11/30/36; 5/28/37; 5/14/38; 12/28/38. He also states that the hood prop in Body Drop photo 69343 was not painted.

Alan

TonyM    -- 10-29-2018 @ 2:34 PM
  If I am remembering correctly, the piece that came with my 1937 Ford is unpainted. I will dig it out tomorrow and see.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 10-29-18 @ 2:36 PM

trjford8    -- 10-29-2018 @ 4:21 PM
  It doesn't make sense that you would paint a mechanism that slides back and forth and also ratchets.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12441