Topic: 1937 Ford Standard Wiper Update

239al    -- 05-13-2010 @ 6:03 PM
  Is it possible to simply use the 1937 Deluxe 2 wiper system wiper mechanism to update the single wiper mechanism on a '37 Standard? If not, what is the best way to update a single wiper to a 2 wiper system? Thanks.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-14-2010 @ 4:51 AM
  The best way is to get another wiper motor and install it,
you will have to rsearch which one you will need,I assume it would be just like the one on the left side,
I used to have a deluxe pickup , but that was 20 years ago, and cannot remember exactly how it was,
and will have to drill some holes,for sure
someone with a closed car should weigh in on this,
hope this helps, KEEP ON TRUCKIN, 37RAGTOPMAN

37 Coupe    -- 05-14-2010 @ 7:40 AM
  If you want a passenger side wiper for your standard you have to buy a pass side motor #78 17504,inside should be easy as holes(at least in mine) are already on the panel above widshield underneath headliner material. The inside holes should be your guide to locating the outside hole to drill and add "T" or whatever necessary to extend vacuum hose to right side.. I changed my standard one taillight to additional right side for turn signals and safety but the standard one wiper and rainex works for me.

supereal    -- 05-14-2010 @ 11:41 AM
  When you check the prices on wiper motors and assorted equipment, chances are your one wiper setup will look pretty good. Most of us very seldom drive in the rain, unless we are caught out in it. The tiny wiper blades and erratic vacuum action are not much better than RainX in most cases.

ford38v8    -- 05-14-2010 @ 2:24 PM
  Bob, as you mentioned Rain X, I'll put in my 2ยข worth on that product: Before I had Kent Jaquith rebuild my Trico, I tried Rain X, and was very sorry I used it. It may be all right for new glass, but old glass has a less-than-shiny-smooth surface that holds Rain X like forever, which fogs up badly when the sun hits it. It took a lot of washings to get that stuff out of my original windshield.

Alan

supereal    -- 05-15-2010 @ 9:03 AM
  Alan, I haven't had that problem, but I have mostly new glass in my cars. I clean the glass with rubbing alcohol before I apply RainX, then rub off the excess until the "fog" disappears. I suspect than any old glass with a surface pitted by use would be a problem, however. The biggest problem I have in old cars, beside the jerky vacuum, is the lack of tension holding the blade to the glass. My modern vehicles wipe very clean, sometime squeaky clean, and RainX lets me drive in light rain without using the wipers at all.

ford38v8    -- 05-15-2010 @ 5:31 PM
  Bob, my glass is original, and when I bought the car, it appeared that it had gone through a sandstorm, the glass was so bad. I used an Eastman glass polishing kit, which took me from morning to night to complete, and produced excellent results. However, the RaineX did still have plenty of texture to remain with the glass, causing the fogging I reported in my earlier post.

With regard to the erratic (your word) operation of a Trico wiper, I was amazed at the results of a good rebuild. I now have a wiper with a truly infinite control from zero to full speed, which only stalls on the glass while under full full throttle acceleration. The light tension to the glass by the blade has proved a problem in the snow, but then, I don't generally seek out a snow storm in which to drive my Ford!

Alan

supereal    -- 05-16-2010 @ 10:02 AM
  Alan: My wiper motor is in good shape. I keep the paddle lubricated, and it does swing the wipers OK, but the tiny blades and lack of tension against the glass makes them less than effective. I've tried bending the arms with little effect. I may try Drake's new repros that use a better blade and mount than the simple hook on the originals. That said, like most convertible owners, I try to stay out of the inclement weather, if possible. It does rain here, as you know from your visit to my place.

Norm    -- 05-16-2010 @ 2:58 PM
  There's no question that the modern style blades and arms work better. And last longer!!

Several years ago I bought an original style blade from Carpenter - it was asian cr*p. It was so flimsy that after a few hours in the rain it folded up, collapsed and before I realized what was happening it scored a noticeable mark on a previously perfect windshield. So much for trying to be "original"!!

The new one works well - just like a modern car!

Norm

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1244