Topic: Cold starting headache

silverchief    -- 05-13-2010 @ 10:53 AM
  My second posting as the problem has returned.
Stock 46 flathead 8 excepting full time electric fuel pump. Have verified pump delivers, pressure regulator set at 2. Giving pump ample time to deliver, will start to catch immediately, but if it dies - no amount of choke, accelator pumping, or holding to the floor will start the engine. One small squirt of starting fluid and jumps right off. If it dies during warmup - same routine over again. Accelerator pump seems OK during normal operation, but has split second hesitation if sitting at idle. All other engine components are in very good condition, and car runs fine in normal operation. This starting fluid thing has me baffled.

supereal    -- 05-13-2010 @ 2:54 PM
  Double check your accelerator pump. My '47 used to pull that trick, so I carried starting fluid "just in case". After much head scratching, I discovered that the accelerator pump was weak. The pump plunger is pushed down by a spring over the shaft as the linkage isn't directly connected to it. When I overhauled the carb, I used the pump spring in the kit. Bad choice, as it was weak. I replaced it with an old spring out of our collection, and now I give the car three or four pumps before hitting the starter, and stand ready to do it again if the engine tries to die. If the engine will take off after shots of starting fluid, it isn't getting enough gas to keep it running, in most cases. If you pour a little gas down the carb before you start it, and it takes off, you have your answer.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-13-2010 @ 3:40 PM
  I was wondering if the float lever is set to low, if it might cause this problem, low amount of fuel in the carb,?
also just check to see if the carb drips inside the venturi when it sits,
check the electric pump,maybe causing a problem ???
it is something simple,I never have a problem starting my 37, when cold, just choke it and off it goes, and when warm you only have to do is push the button for it to start,
matter of fact it sat from DECEMBER to the beginning of MAY and it started on its own, NO PRIMING, and NO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP EITHER, just ALL HENRY,,,
they did not use electric pumps when they made the car,
it took a few cranks but I did not mind that cause it pumps the oil up before it fires,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,, 37 RAGTOPMAN

silverchief    -- 05-14-2010 @ 1:25 PM
  Thanks ragtopman. It's been sitting couple of days.
I'm going to take top of carb off now and see what the fuel level looks like.

silverchief    -- 05-14-2010 @ 1:27 PM
  Supereal

Can I stretch the current spring a little to give it more oomph?

supereal    -- 05-15-2010 @ 9:28 AM
  I doubt it. The problem is that the replacement spring is too thin, which makes it weak. If you don't have the original spring available, look for a heavier spring of the same diameter and length. Pushing the pump shaft down against the fuel in the well does take some strength. Otherwise, the flow is in adequate. Some places, such as NAPA, often have a variety of springs. We never throw springs away from anything, as they come in handy very often.

silverchief    -- 05-16-2010 @ 1:57 PM
  Supereal,

Thanks for reminding me! I must have a hundred new springs of various lengths and sizes in a box in my
garage. Duh!

silverchief    -- 05-16-2010 @ 2:00 PM
  Supereal,

Thanks for reminding me! I must have a hundred new springs of various lengths and sizes in a box in my
garage. Duh!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1241