Topic: Distributor and Coil differences--interchange 1935

GGUSTINMOTO    -- 10-13-2018 @ 8:12 AM
  I recently acquired a 1935 5 window coupe. It runs good but I noticed that the distributor, helmet style, mounting tab was cracked all the way through.
My question is, are all the helmet style distributors the same and do parts interchange between the different helmet styles, three hole mount vs. four hole, different looking coils on top.
Attached is a picture of three hole mount. I cannot figure out how to post more than one pitcutre
The one that came off my car is a three hole mount and has a low round coil with condensor visible.
Thanks for any help
Graham

This message was edited by GGUSTINMOTO on 10-13-18 @ 8:14 AM

ken ct.    -- 10-13-2018 @ 9:41 AM
  I can give you a empty housing for the price of the shipping ,you transfer all your parts into it and be done. ken Isidor cell 1-203-260-9780 or send me email on this. ken ct

TomO    -- 10-15-2018 @ 8:19 AM
  The later distributor will work, but you will have to change the coil and caps also. Take Ken up on his offer.

To prevent breaking an ear on the distributor, take two 5/16-18x 1 1/2" and cut off the head. Next cut a screwdriver slot in the head and grind flats on the sides of the bolt to make it easier to grab.

Thread the 2 bolts int 2 of the timing gear cover holes just enough to make them steady. Slide the distributor onto the bolts and turn the rotor so that the tongue of the distributor engages the slot in the camshaft and the distributor is flush with the timing gear cover. Install the 3rd bolt finger tight to hold the distributor in place. Then replace the cut-off bolts one at a time. Tighten all 3 bolts evenly after making sure that the distributor is flush with the timing gear and the tang on the distributor is engaged in the camshaft slot.

Tom

GGUSTINMOTO    -- 10-15-2018 @ 10:02 AM
  thanks for trying to help Ken. Unfortunately he didn't have the housing he thought he did.

So I am still in need of a housing for my internals.

Also what is the difference between the different cams? I've heard of two different ones. What is the difference and how are they identified

thanks
Graham

TomO    -- 10-17-2018 @ 7:20 AM
  Check with Cliff Green for the housing, he may have one. He advertises in the V-8 Times.

You should get a 33-35 distributor. It will have 40B stamped on the end of the shaft. 3 hole distributors with 68 stamped will fit on the timing cover, but require changing the coil, condenser and caps. The 4 mounting hole distributor will also fit on the timing gear cover, but it will also require using the parts designed for it.

The difference in the distributor is not in the cam but in the mechanical advance. The 1941 (stamped 11A) mechanical advance is 22 degrees and the earlier advance was 16 degrees.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12403