Topic: 1940 Deluxe Front Too Low

ak409ak    -- 10-08-2018 @ 8:37 AM
  Hi.
New to this forum. A friend has a 40 Ford Deluxe (streetrod project). He bought this partially built. His front tires (205r15) are really close to the inside of the fender and the fenders cover the top 1/2" of the tire. Can the front be raised any? Also how can the front wheels be brought in some (narrower) too. Is there some measurement the we can take to understand what front axle he has. Sorry, but I'm new to Fords.

Art

supercub    -- 10-08-2018 @ 10:41 AM
  Pictures would help. Axle, spring, shackles will make the front end very low. Disc brakes of the wrong brand will widen the front end, as well as the offset, and width of the wheels. There may be a lot going on. A dropped axle alone is not all that bad, but the other parts will make it very low.

CharlieStephens    -- 10-08-2018 @ 11:35 AM
  Definitely picture time. If the spring eyes have been reversed the spring can be replaced with one that has the normal eyes. Does the car have disc brakes? I was going to send you an email offering to post a picture for you but your email is disabled. You might have better luck posting on HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/, that is where the non-stock guys hang out. If your general location was included in your profile I might offer to stop by and take a look.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-8-18 @ 11:40 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 10-08-2018 @ 11:43 AM
  More info is needed and pictures. Has the axle been replaced withed a dropped axle, has the spring been replaced with a modified spring with reversed eyes, has the crossmember been changed or modified? All will bring the front end down and all can be corrected.

CharlieStephens    -- 10-08-2018 @ 11:49 AM
  Does your friend have wheel adapters that are pushing the wheels out?

Charlie Stephens

ak409ak    -- 10-09-2018 @ 5:17 AM
  Thanks for the help. I agree with what everyone has stated. I will get some picture and try to post. We are in Delaware.

Art

wmsteed    -- 10-24-2018 @ 10:19 AM
  From the grist of what I have gleamed out of the original posting to this topic I would have to assume that the vehicle in question has most-likely had either a junk yard and/or aftermarket from end added to the chassis.
It is very common for the after-market vendors to recommend that two coils be cut from the front spring because most street rodders want a "rake" on the front end.
I have learned from experience that front ends settle, therefore the springs should be left uncut until after the vehicle is all done.
As it has already been said, more info and pictures would be of great value to determine what the problem could be.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

trjford8    -- 10-27-2018 @ 8:36 AM
  It's possible someone installed dropped spindles. They usually make the car sit too low. You see lots of used ones at swap meets and there's a reason why they are for sale.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12391