Topic: Turn Signal Indicator Light Solved

51woodie    -- 10-02-2018 @ 9:53 AM
  A previous owner installed a United Pacific turn signal kit on my '46 Coupe. The signals worked okay but the indicator lights on the switch did not. The flash frequency was quite fast as well, so I thought a new flasher unit would solve the fast flashing. The existing flasher was a Hella unit, but I purchased and installed a 6V #535 HD flasher in its place. Voila! The lights flash at a reasonable speed, and now the indicator lights on the switch work for both signals and emergency. And here I was thinking I would have to pull the switch appart to sort out the non functioning indicators. Sometimes the hardest problem is so easily solved.

mfirth    -- 10-03-2018 @ 4:18 AM
  51 Woody, where did you purchase the heavy duty flasher, and can you hear it cycling?
My flasher is too quiet & i some times forget to turn it off. THANKS, mike

mfirth    -- 10-03-2018 @ 4:20 AM
  51woodie, sorry for the misspell. m

51woodie    -- 10-03-2018 @ 6:15 AM
  mfirth. I bought it from Summit Racing, as I was buying fuel and oil filters and 6V headlamp at the time, but you can also get them from NAPA as P/N, NF 535 at a better price. The flasher is not loud enough for me to hear (old ears syndrome), but the bonus was that the indicator lights now flash to remind me to cancel the signal.

40cpe    -- 10-03-2018 @ 7:25 AM
  If you can't hear your flasher, you can buy a Piezo Buzzer on line or at Radio Shack to connect between the line and load side of the flasher. They emit an electronic tone that can be tailored to your taste by wrapping them in cotton and tape. The are polarity sensitive, so if it doesn't work on first try, reverse the leads.

trjford8    -- 10-03-2018 @ 7:35 AM
  Just for info Radio Shack is out of business. I believe they closed all their stores.

trjford8    -- 10-03-2018 @ 7:36 AM
  Just for info Radio Shack is out of business. I believe they closed all their stores.

40cpe    -- 10-03-2018 @ 10:57 AM
  Don't know about stores being open, but the website is still up.

https://www.radioshack.com/pages/search-results?findify_limit=24&findify_q=piezo%20buzzer

PS The website has a store locator. It shows two stores open within 50 miles of me, but they appear to be incorporated with another business like a hardware store or drug store.

This message was edited by 40cpe on 10-3-18 @ 11:09 AM

trjford8    -- 10-04-2018 @ 7:11 AM
  You are probably located on the east coast. Those may be the only two stores left. They closed them all out here on the "left" coast

trjford8    -- 10-04-2018 @ 7:11 AM
  You are probably located on the east coast. Those may be the only two stores left. They closed them all out here on the "left" coast

Drbrown    -- 10-04-2018 @ 9:08 AM
  My directional switch body on the steering column also has two small lights in it that will flash when unit is used, but one has to connect the blue wire from the unit to the flasher to make them light. Regardless, they are useless because the face of the directional switch is behind mt steering wheel and can not be seen from my normal driver's seat position.

My flasher unit is also too quiet. I had installed the Radio Shack (not here in northeast anymore) buzzer but it was extremely annoying ! A forum member suggested wrapping the buzzer with foam tape etc but that didn't help. Someone said put buzzer in engine compartment - I gave up on it at that time and it went in parts bin.

What I did was install two tiny (1/8") red LED "bulbs" to indicate when flashers were on - one on each side in the face of my speedometer gauge (car is no-way concourse material). They are very inconspicuous and were not hard to install. They work any voltage. Now I am quickly reminded when the flashers are operating and my back-seat driver will remain quiet.

40cpe    -- 10-04-2018 @ 10:20 AM
  I suppose there are different types of buzzers, but I put a cotton ball on each side of mine and wrapped it in electrical tape. I only hear a faint "peep".

trjford8    -- 10-07-2018 @ 8:33 AM
  The LED lights work best. I put mine on a panel below the dash and they are nice and bright. You can't miss them.

trjford8    -- 10-07-2018 @ 8:33 AM
  The LED lights work best. I put mine on a panel below the dash and they are nice and bright. You can't miss them.

sarahcecelia    -- 10-07-2018 @ 11:00 AM
  You can buy a flasher(expensive, about $35,) that will have an audible beep each time the lights flash. It's a lttle annoying but very useful.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12380