Topic: 1940 Ford Rear Wheel Noice

21JIMMIE    -- 05-12-2010 @ 7:52 PM
  I Have A Noise In The Right Rear Wheel. I Was Told It Was a Bad Wheel Bearing And I Replaced The Wheel Bearing With A New One. This Did Not Solve The Problem. Can Someone Tell Me What Else The Problem May Be And What Do I Do To Fix It. Many Thanks To All Who May Assist Me. 21jimmie 5-12-10

This message was edited by efv8 on 5-13-10 @ 6:25 AM

ford38v8    -- 05-12-2010 @ 8:43 PM
  jimmie, The rear wheel bearing rides on the axle housing, which becomes worn on the underside, where the weight of the car produces almost all the friction the bearing sees. The wear is readily visible (only on the underside) upon removal of the drum and bearing.

The solution is to remove the differential assembly, dismount the axle housings, and send them out to be lathe turned, and have replacement sleeves pressed on. As this requires the skill of a machinist and a large lathe, except for the disassembly and reassembly, it is one of the few jobs that cannot be accomplished by a backyard mechanic. Gotta let go of some cash for this one.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-13-2010 @ 5:42 AM
  C and G EARLY FORD PARTS,
I think has a undersize bearing and a metal sleeve so you can do it on the car and save you a lot of work,
www.cgfordparts.com this is thier web site,
hope this helps, KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN
update,
I tried the C&G web site, saw no reference to the repair sleeve and undersize bearing, repair, only had the original ones with a rebuilding service, by you sending them you axle tubes to get redone,I THOUGHT,,I SAW IT SOMEPLACE, in HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS,
WAS the old beaaring bad ????
the surface that gets all the use is the bottom of the axle tube beaaring surface, clean it off and examine.
make sure you check the front bearing also,
remember NOISE TRAVELS ,and do not rule this out,!!!

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-14-10 @ 6:44 AM

supereal    -- 05-13-2010 @ 9:08 AM
  C&G does carry good quality repair sleeves, but I've never seen an undersized bearing that would accommodate a sleeve that was just put over a damaged housing. I doubt that would last long with an irregular surface under the sleeve. You didn't mention what kind of noise you were having. While a hub bearing can make a grinding noise on a rough housing, there are other possibilities. If you properly repacked the replacement bearing with the fibrous yellow grease, the noise should gone away, at least for a while.

21JIMMIE    -- 06-05-2010 @ 7:47 PM
  Thanks For The Help. I Replaced The Wheel Bearing And Put A New Sleve On The Axel Houseing And That Solved My Problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1238