Topic: Mileage

silverchief    -- 09-29-2018 @ 11:27 AM
  My stock 46 coupe starts on a 1\4 turn, idles and accelerates smoothly, and runs very nice at all speeds.

Gas gauge is not at all accurate so I watch the mileage. It was reading full yesterday when I put in 12 gallons after driving just 86 miles,. or just a little over seven miles per gallon.

Whenever I fill the tank,I have a strong odor of gasoline in the garage for about 3 or 4 days afterward. Checking the engine bay, there is no sign of gasoline on or around the carburetor or anywhere else atop the engine. . Electric fuel pump is set at 2 1/2 lbs and mounted along the rail just ahead of the tank, No evidence of gasoline on the floor there or anywhere else.

Both exhaust tips show smoky residue indicating it is running rich.

I have a steady minor oil leak,apparently from the front seal. About the size of your palm over a week or so. However, in checking the oil stick it does not reflect any loss of oil - SO - I assumed perhaps the gas is leaking inside the car and down into the intake manifold.

Pulled the dipstick and no odor of gasoline. Oil appears very normal, and lighting a match to it produced no flame

Engine requires just a little choke for a short while on a cool morning - which seems very normal to me and not like a an engine overloaded with gasoline.

I am stumped would appreciate any suggestions

BUCKAWHO    -- 09-29-2018 @ 1:07 PM
  Hi....Smokey exhaust tips are a clue. Might be running way too rich, and mileage would suffer. Carb is where I'd start. BT

GK1918    -- 09-30-2018 @ 7:38 AM
  My 46 did that I found the cork fuel sender gasket dried up. I had no drips on the floor but top of gas tank was damp that will cause smell. I also don't get the 7 miles a gallon? I got rid of the dreaded called "modern"junk
my boy bought me a super deluxe 4dr. My modern F350 gets 2Mpg downhill and that was like $350 a month, my 46 V8 goes the same places and that 20 bucks of gas that lasts a month. The trade off is I don't miss
all that electric cr*p but I do miss the heat of the F350 blows on ya feet.
Here we need wipers defrosters and heat and a ice scaper. Also I don't pay attention to exhaust pipe color = spark plug color is what counts.

trjford8    -- 09-30-2018 @ 7:44 AM
  Have you checked to make sure that your choke is opening all the way after it starts. It could be your cable is not opening the choke properly. It could also be the power valve in the carburetor is shot and leaking gas.

trjford8    -- 09-30-2018 @ 7:44 AM
  Have you checked to make sure that your choke is opening all the way after it starts. It could be your cable is not opening the choke properly. It could also be the power valve in the carburetor is shot and leaking gas.

TomO    -- 09-30-2018 @ 8:03 AM
  Have you check the rubber hose that connects the filler pipe to the tank? A small crack in the hose can let the fumes out, but will not leak gas.

Is the smell stronger at the back of the car or the front of the car?

Are all of your trips, that you measure the mileage on, short trips? You will get worse mileage on short trips than on long trips.

Oil spreads out pretty far when it is on a solid surface, with your small leak, I would not expect to see much of a change on the dipstick over the summer. Smell the dipstick to see if the oil smells like gasoline.

Tom

silverchief    -- 09-30-2018 @ 2:24 PM

Thanks guys - I will check the filler hose at the tank . Also, all of my daily trips are about 3 miles and I know the engine does not get up to operating temp.

As mentioned, I didn't smell any gasoline odor on the dipstick, and using a lit match on the oil produced no flame.

I'm also going to check the sender gasket on top of the tank to see if it is wet.

I'll let you know of any interesting developments.

Drbrown    -- 09-30-2018 @ 6:32 PM
  You say runs fine but regarding running rich, get you self a vacuum gauge and check your idle screw settings on the carb. That won't greatly affect highway mileage at upper speeds but might if you do much city driving.

How about the gear ratio in your banjo ?

Doing mixed driving (mostly city) I get about 15 mpg with my 1947 59AB with 35,000 on rebuild, without using overdrive.

silverchief    -- 10-01-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  Interesting Drbrown

I have a vac gauge and am a big believer in them, but my starting and idle at 500 rpm has been so great I am reluctant to even touch the idle adjustment screws.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12369