Topic: push rod is keeping me from installing fuel pump

Jsmither08    -- 09-27-2018 @ 3:58 AM
  1948 super delux v8
I have a "new" fuel pump push rod (8-7/8" from macs) that is sitting about 1/4" too high for me to set the new fuel pump (from macs) down and bolt down for installation. I have the new fuel pump connected to the OEM fuel pump stand while doing this.

First thought was to grind the rod but an 8-7/8" push rod I believe is the correct length (iron manifold not aluminum).

Instead, I used 7/8" wrench on the crank pulley nut to turn it clockwise 90-degrees so maybe the fuel pump lobe will rotate down 1/4". This would allow the fuel pump push rod to set down...fixing my issue. However, I can only turn the crank from 12 to 1 o'clock because it seems the bolt is as tight as it should be.

Car won't start right now but it did turn pretty easy. Spark plugs out too. The lobe/cam seemed to be pretty close to the bottom of the push rod bushing.

My thought, regardless of where the lobe is, this 8-7/8" rod should fit right? Meaning if it's up, then the arm on the pump would be installed pushing up. If the lobe is down, the arm would be relax on the fuel pump.

So, why is the fuel pump push rod 1/4" too high?

Please help.

This message was edited by Jsmither08 on 9-27-18 @ 4:02 AM

carcrazy    -- 09-27-2018 @ 6:22 AM
  Are you sure the upper end of the pushrod is properly engaged in the cup on the lever of the fuel pump?

LarryK    -- 09-27-2018 @ 8:26 AM
  I don't believe you have an issue.
With the lobe on the camshaft in the up position and the 8-7/8" pushrod installed, the fuel pump stand with the pump attached will not sit down on the intake manifold. It will need to be drawn down with the bolts. Doing so will compress the spring under the fuel pump diaphragm. In this configuration, the fuel pump is on its suction stroke. As the camshaft rotates and the lobe and pushrod move down, the spring will force the diaphragm up, discharging fuel to the carburetor.

Larry

Jsmither08    -- 09-27-2018 @ 9:01 AM
  Carcrazy....i believe so. The new ones have no cup but the elevations are the same.

Jsmither08    -- 09-27-2018 @ 9:11 AM
  I had it in gear. Duh moment.
Crank turned easily now. Lobe moved but i havent verified if pump will install. Ill follow up soon.

This message was edited by Jsmither08 on 9-27-18 @ 5:17 PM

nelsb01    -- 09-27-2018 @ 9:43 AM
  I have just done the same thing with my 1936.
I attached the pump to the stand. Then pushed down on the top of the stand and threaded on the lock washers and nuts. Keep constant pressure on the stand and it should go together as you or an assistant tighten the nuts.

Otherwise, if you still think it is because the cam lobe is up, remove the spark plugs before you crank it around with the wrench on the crankshaft nut.

kubes40    -- 09-27-2018 @ 1:58 PM
  LarryK has this correct. Turn the engine over 180° if the height upon installation concerns you.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Jsmither08    -- 10-02-2018 @ 2:56 AM
  I used 3 gaskets and the pump set down for bolting. I cranked 720 degrees amd didnt hear anything wrong. I am not able to start the beauty up yet. Thanks all.
A simple...left it in gear issue.

ken ct.    -- 10-02-2018 @ 4:48 AM
  3gaskets are totally uncalled for. Do you have the proper 5 1/2 " baffle installed. The 1 gasket must be installed on the manifold before the baffle is installed. Push rod goes in first (umbrella) down , then lay the gasket next on the manifold,then insert the 5 1/2 " long X approxitmetly 2" diam. baffle in there and your set to install the pump and stand together. THIS order must be followed to the "T". ken ct. cell if needed 1-203-260-9780

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12366